Trigger Action: Start Date on a task

The more I use the rules feature, I more I want more of it to do.

Currently, I can set a trigger that when a custom field is changed to x, allocate due date to + 7 days for example.

In Development projects, timeline view is mainly used. I would like the action to include start date as well so I can integrate dependencies to other work within the project.

The rule I am looking for:
Trigger:
When custom field is changed to X
Action:
Allocate the task start date same as change of customer field and give deadline + y number of days

Thoughts?

3 Likes

It would be cool. You (or me) could custom code a rule if needed, that possible now.

Is this actually possible with a custom rule? I only see ā€œdue dateā€ as a trigger, not ā€œstart dateā€.

@Alex_asana,

Not possible with Asana natively. You can do it via the rules in our Flowsana integration:

Noted, thank you.

I track many projects at once (and many tasks within projects). It would be helpful to send me an alert (email, or calendar event), if a task (or subtask) was about to start - say in 5 days. For example - I enter in an entire season of projects (for a new Performing Arts season), and in each project, there are up to 10 major tasks that are deliverables for that project. So for 23-24 Season: On Sale - I have to create digital assets, posters, flyers. Of course all of these major tasks have subtasks that comprise the steps needed to make each of those assets. It would be great if I have a custom field like ā€œStart Dateā€, and once that start date is within 5 days (of the start date), the system sends me an email or creates a calendar event so that I know that I need to nudge my designers to start this task so that it gets completed on time. Of course - if anyone else has a brilliant idea for a custom rule - including creating custom fields - please let me know. Right now, I canā€™t think of anything.

2 Likes

Hi @Aiden_McDaniel,

I moved your post to a relevant thread.

1. Be sure to add your vote for this enhancement above (purple ā€œVoteā€ button at top of thread).
  2. Note that there is a solution available via our Flowsana integration, also referenced above.
1 Like

Thank you Phil - Iā€™ve voted for the Feature upgrade - i donā€™t really wish to pay for an additional integration when it seems like this could be accomplished within existing fields.

1 Like

I have a workflow set up to set a new due date on a task, but that clears the start date and I have no option to change the due date without the start date also being cleared. The automation says ā€˜set due dateā€™ but ALSO clears start date

This renders the start date on any tasks pretty useless if ā€˜set dateā€™ automations are used.

Activity:

Automation:

@Peter_Moriarty,

Iā€™ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Although you may feel itā€™s a bug, Asana would classify it otherwise because the code doesnā€™t yet exist to work with Start Date in this manner.

Thanks,

Larry

@Peter_Moriarty,

Just FYI, if you use the ā€œSet a date fieldā€ rule action in our Flowsana integration to modify a taskā€™s due date, it will not erase the taskā€™s start date (in fact, it will adjust it by the same number of days that youā€™re adjusting the due date so that the duration of the task remains consistent).

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™m new to the forum and that distinction makes sense

1 Like

Thanks [quote=ā€œPhil_Seeman, post:11, topic:334497, full:trueā€]
@Peter_Moriarty,

Just FYI, if you use the ā€œSet a date fieldā€ rule action in our Flowsana integration to modify a taskā€™s due date, it will not erase the taskā€™s start date (in fact, it will adjust it by the same number of days that youā€™re adjusting the due date so that the duration of the task remains consistent).
[/quote]

Thanks, I may give this a go!

1 Like