"Today" and "Tomorrow"and day of the week deadlines when working across the international date line

I work in Australia with clients in the USA.
We are encountering an issue with the deadlines, especially the close deadlines that transform into “Today” and “Tomorrow” and the days of the week.

While Asana dates work well with different timezone. These labels do not match up for individual users when the international dateline comes into play. eg If we set something due for USA Monday. On the Australian Monday (USA Sunday) it say’s it’s due Today. But it’s actually due tomorrow Australia time.

We have solved this by adding a specific time to the due date to each task. But it would be great if Asana’s timezone adjustment could automatically and the “Today, Tomorrow, Monday” are updated for the users home timezone

Hi @anon90529650, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Asana time zones are automatically set by your browser’s time zone. If someone assign you a task in the USA, it will automatically recognize that time. I also work with teams in different time zones and to avoid confusion I added my working hours to my profile description. I know it could be a good idea if Asana could recognize the assignee time zone when someone sets the due date.

I suggest you to check this thread for more tips: Due date best practices

Hi Emily thanks for the welcome and getting back to me.

You are 100% right Asana does adjust to the browser time zone. That’s not the error. The error is when the due date gets within 7 days the days of the week don’t adjust to the users timezone.

If something is due Monday the the 1st of Sept in the USA time zone. It correctly says it’s due 1st of Sept for users in USA and 2nd of Sept for Users in Australia.

But when it’s within 7 days. It says due Monday for users in Both USA and Australia. where it should say Monday for users in USA and Tuesday for users in Australia.

I hope I explained it a bit clearer this time.

1 Like

I’d also like to chime in on this request. Same scenario as Michael where I’m in Australia, but my company and clients are in the US.

The browser does acknowledge my timezone, but it’s fairly irrelevant when the system itself is unaware of my timezone.

Here’s an additional quick example to add:

This morning is Thursday the 11th for me, but Wednesday the 10th for the rest of my team and clients. When my coworkers assign me a task in Asana that’s due today, it displays on my end as “Due Yesterday” which is far from ideal as it gives off the false indication of being past due.

1 Like

Did anything ever come of this? Did they update something or DM you? Simply curious as we have a team all over the USA, parts of Europe, the Philippines, and occasionally Australia.

I’m having the same issue here in New Zealand with my assistant in Canada. @Emily_Roman did you find out if there would be a fix for this? This feels like a basic error that Asana should resolve quickly (kind of embarrassing for a project management tool).

Thanks for sharing your feedback, @paulminors! I completely understand, we work with team members in different timezones and this would be very useful. This is in our team’s radar and hopefully something that we would implement. I will share details in this thread when I have more information.

Thank you Emily :+1: