Timestamp incorrect for task updates

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When making changes to the custom fields of a task, the timestamp update does not reflect the actual time it was changed (i.e. setting the changes at 4pm, but shows up as 11:59)

Steps to reproduce:

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:
image%20(5)

Hey @Carson_Au, Welcome to the Forum. I’m sorry to hear about this issue. Generally speaking, Asana determines the timezone to use through your system and browser settings. In most browsers, you should be able to change your timezone by changing your system’s time settings.

After that, you can just refresh your Asana page and your timezone should be updated. Can you please try this trick and let us know if it helps?

If this doesn’t help, would you be so kind as to provide us with additional details?

• When did you first notice the issue?
  • Are your teammates also experiencing this problem?
  • Does it happen to all timestamps or specifically to changes to the Custom Fields?
  • Have you tried to replicate the issue on a different browser and clear your cache and cookies?

Once I have this additional information, I will be more than happy to further investigate this for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Carson_Au, Naty here!

I’m just checking if you are still running into this issue. If yes, could you please provide us with additional details?

Looking forward to your reply. Have a great Wednesday!

Closing this thread since we haven’t heard back from you @Carson_Au.

Let me know if you need further help with this issue!

I wanted to open this back up because I’m experiencing a similar issue with the Task Progress field provided by Asana. What’s happening is that it doesn’t log every update made to this field. For example, if I change the field from “Not Started” to “In Progress” at 1pm, work on the task for 30 minutes, and then update the field from “In Progress” to “Done” at 1:30pm, instead of the history showing both field changes at the appropriate times, it updates the original entry as “Task progressed changed from Not Started to Done at 1pm” and shows nothing about the In Progress field change.

Hi @Van_Gar and welcome to the forum!

This is not a bug but actually is how Asana is designed to work. Asana performs "story consolidation” in the attempt to avoid massively long activity streams displaying at the bottom of task records. How it works is if one user changes a field multiple times within a 24-hour period without other users changing that field in between, those multiple changes by the user get consolidated so only the last change is shown.

1 Like

Understood and thanks for the quick reply Phil. I would suggest to Asana though that it would be better to display the actual details of the last status update as “Task Progress changed from In Progress to Done at 1:30pm” as opposed to “Task Progress changed from Not Started to Done at 1pm” which isn’t actually at all what took place. For any team member that does not keep up with every update, it may seem as if the task status was set to Done before anything else (comments, questions, etc.). Not a big deal though. Thanks again!