Timeline - view multiple projects together

Agreed with Jake_Kushner

Timeline has been proven to be an excellent tool in many project management applications. One of its core functions has been to visually manage multiple projects and tasks from and out of the weeds view. I just came Asana expecting without a doubt I would be able to manage multiple projects With my employees and teams in the timeline view. I’m shocked to find that this has not been added in the last 3 years of this thread.

Those that are not requesting for this obviously don’t understand how managing multiple projects from an out of the weeds view but still with specific timelines will help with faster and more accurate decision-making.

Asana please do some research on this and add this function along with its benefits for your visual clients.

14 Likes

It’s baffling to me that there is no ability to see multiple projects together in the in the timeline short of a clunky work-around. It’s pretty much a deal breaker in continuing to use Asana. Is this feature available at any subscription tier or is it just something that is missing from Asana altogether?

6 Likes

Considering 2 years ago it was said that this is a feature that would hopefully be implemented soon, I can’t help but lose hope for any improvement in the near future. Happy that I can cancel my free trial before paying because without this feature, Asana is pretty useless to us.

5 Likes

+1 For this. The timelines feature is next to useless without this and very surprising that this has not been implemented still. As I assume is the case with many other Asana users, our teams work across multiple projects. This means delays or date changes in one project can and does affect other projects. The timeline should be based on people as opposed to projects since the point is to be able to understand who is available/busy for what dates and on what tasks/projects to allow for better planning and forecasting. @Marie or anyone else from Asana, is there any update you can give us on this? Is this being worked on at all or not? Would really help decide whether or not to start looking at alternatives.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Roohbir_Singh,

I don’t have an update on this topic at the moment, but Im’ closely following it and will post an update here as soon as possible. In your specific case, it seems that our Portfolio + Workload feature could be a great fit, if you haven’t yet, I’d recommend checking them out!

Thanks for flagging the portfolio + workload option. Unfortunately at more than 2.5x the current paid plan’s cost, without even a trial period, this will be quite unaffordable for us. Surprised it’s not included in the “Premium” paid plan which we’re on as I would’ve thought this would be a fairly standard feature needed by anyone managing multiple people or projects.

4 Likes

Here’s a way to do it - in a way satisfying to most of you - although it takes some steps

In this video https://asana.com/guide/videos/multi-home it shows how to add a task to multiple projects - so:

1. Create your “Overview Project” in which you would like multiple projects

2. Go into each of your projects, you would like to see together in one timeline, and select all your tasks and assign the “Overview Project to them” (you will probably need to enable the “project” under Customization in the List view to be able to do this)

NOTE: This solution is a bit troublesome if you use Sections - If you try it you will see what I mean

1. Now all of the projects you did Step 2 for, are in the “Overview Project” and if you go into Timeline, each task will have the color, which it is assigned to, so you can distinguish between them. I particularly like the Sort By Assignee function in Timeline, which allows you to see your project colors as well as an easy overview of all people’s tasks.

And yes, the tasks will be updated whenever the assignee or PM changes anything in their own projects. The task is kind of “synchronized” in every project it is assigned to.

1 Like

'this worked for me. There is an easy way to select multiple tasks and then you just add to the new project. gave me full timeline and calendar view across many projects.

Hi Terri. So, any news for this feature? I really need it and it’s insane to check each task for each project one by one and assign it to a “general” project…Thanks

1 Like

After serveral hours spending to find and alternative (Funcionfox, Freedcamp, Toggl, Kerika, Meistertask and so on…) I’m trying Zenkit and it seems really what I was looking for. If anybody has any suggestion you could write them here…thanks.

Hi there,
I am also looking for this feature and am totally disappointed that it’s not available on Premium. I want to let you all know that TogglPlan DOES have this feature, although not a lot of the other features you might want. I’m actually trying to find software that does a good job of CRM + PMS, in case you have any suggestions. Currently playing with Asana and Dubsado.

@Lulu_White - Scoro is a pretty good CRM, PMS, and BMS. Can be quite expensive though.

2 Likes

We also need this feature desperately, without the ability to cross-reference timelines the whole timeline (and premium feature plan) is quite useless. We settled on the master timeline board ourselves but is a really time-consuming and clunky solution. Disappointed to see the requests for this feature go back three years.

1 Like

Thank you for the details. Would that also include any additional subtasks that are created after this process was done? What I’m concerned about is that any new tasks/subtasks that we create are typically urgent, but requiring someone to remember to add them to the overview would mean those tasks will fall through the cracks.

1 Like

Just here to add my voice and state that this is a feature that is severely lacking for Asana and I would love to see it implemented ASAP.

3 Likes

This still seems like such an obviously needed feature. :smiley:

2 Likes

Also adding my voice!
This really too bad. We are still in the trail periode and in first glance Asana is wow but, not having the ability for a timeline overview of all running projects is a deal breaker for us. We are looking for a visual way to see where we have time gaps to squeeze in new requests/projects… The workaround sounds very time consuming and we are looking for solutions to give us extra time to focus on projects itself instead loosing time on using software.

We are a small company so we won’t pay big bucks for something like this… I guess we will look for a real Gantt Chart solution…

1 Like

Hi, just wanted to add my voice to this. I have been trialing the free version of Asana and want to justify upgrading to Premium; it would be an easy call to make but for this missing feature. The ability to track tasks as a timeline across projects is a key element I was really hoping to find in the project management tool that my department will ultimately invest in.

3 Likes

Has this been implemented? I saw someone respond that it was on the roadmap in 2018.

2 Likes