The coolest Asana rules 😎

No, sorry, you can’t - Asana does not support triggering one rule based on another rule. You can add your vote for that capability here if you’d like:

With an Asana Business-level subscription, you could accomplish what you want because you can create a custom rule that has multiple rule actions.

1 Like

Thank you @Phil_Seeman !

I love these too. I had a similar need to the Architect. I am trying to ensure I have a good Master Project List so I can take a holistic view of things. Examples include seeing what is in flight, prioritise projects, look for missing topics etc. I have seen an approach of creating Portfolio dashboard reporting using Asana to Go which comes close.

Here was the original rule
The Architect :star:

• Goal : automatically build a master project, from various sources.
  • Idea : in various projects, create a rule that automatically adds any task created to a master project.
  • Why it’s cool : your master project will always be up-to-date with all its children’s tasks.

I am trying to make the idea “All Projects” not “various projects” - in other words all new projects create a task on the Master Project List. Then I would review the MPL every week. Zapier has the right triggers and actions but I cannot find a way to make the task be a reference to the original project - I can only add a new task every time there is a new project which is not helpful for a weekly review. I had look at Flowsana too but again Rules are built by project and do not apply to all Projects.

Thanks!

In Zapier you can’t add task to another project, rather than create a new task?

I think the same challenge applies ie

1. it is not possible with Zapier to make a new task in the MPL to act as a reference to the new project
  2. it is not possible with Zapier to add a new task in the new project that also homes to the MPL
1 Like

Another great one is the “Out of Office”. If you’re on leave, you can create a rule where if someone assigns you a task, Asana automatically comments with an Out of Office message so people know that you won’t see/be able to action a task until you’re back. Great for working with clients. And then you just turn it off when you’re back.

11 Likes

Great idea, I’ll update the post soon to include it.

1 Like

Great tricks! Kinda disappointed when I tried to build one and couldn’t because we’re running under Premium plan though. (glad to know Flowsana is an alternative)

2 Likes

I have added the :star: Out of Office :star: from @fitz2!

1 Like

This totally cool!

Does anyone have a workaround rule that will send an email to a client when they have overdue tasks?

What about “Task Created By” triggers?

We work with many accounting clients and often times they don’t have their notifications turned on nor pay attention to the Asana My tasks section and the mobile app no matter how many trainings we do.

Not yet, we would need a rule that triggers when tasks are overdue. Maybe they’ll introduce this soon.

FYI this is easily done with Flowsana: “If a task is past due, send an email notification to the task’s assignee”:

You can even make it more specific, like “If a task is past due by 3 days
”, in case you want to cut them a little slack before you remind them. :grinning:

Can we make it like a list of tasks in one email reminder? So, 5 overdue tasks in one email reminder to the client.

Also, can it be used to inform a client about the next task to complete as part of an onboarding process?

No, it would be one email per task.

No, not currently. That’s an interesting idea; I’ll give that some thought in terms of Flowsana product enhancements.

As a former trello user, it’s really frustrating how lacking Asana rules is compared to Butler

The Asana Rules are only the tip of the iceberg. Once you start playing the automation game seriously; there are other apps like Zapier & Flowsana. I put together a list of all triggers and all actions for them!

1 Like

Hi, is there a way where you can set a rule that every time a task is created in a project, a template task is used?

I was trying to use the forms which will create a task whenever it is answered (its great for collecting data) and pushes it as a task but I wanted to have that task have subtasks automatically because my template task has 13 subtasks I need to have in each new task.

Thoughts?

Template tasks can’t be used in Rules (yet).

Flowsana will be the solution in your case.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

Two new rules using the latest “Task almost due” and “Task overdue”!
:star: The Gentle Whisperer :star:
:star: The Cleaning Lady :star:

4 Likes