The ability to hide Custom Fields applied to a task that don't belong to the project in which the task is being viewed

I really like the solution that was recently introduced which provided the ability to hide Custom Fields on subtasks within a Project. I believe that many would appreciate the opportunity to hide Custom Fields on task AND subtasks in the same way IF the Custom Fields pertained to another project. Through the use of multi-homing you can assign tasks to multiple projects. This then consolidates ALL the Custom Fields across those projects within the task. However, you can only view the tasks as a function of one project at a time (unless performing an Advanced Search). By that I mean, the web address to the task is different because there are separate strings for each project. I think it would be really nice to only show the Custom Fields pertain to the project in view and hiding the others by default (with the ability to show additional fields if the user chose to do so)

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us @LEGGO.

This is a great idea! And although I donā€™t believe we are planning to tackle this in the near future this is definitely something to consider for future updates! :crossed_fingers:t5: Of course, Iā€™ll keep you posted if I have any updates on my end!

Have a great day!

1 Like

Where are all my multi-homing fans at?!?!

Does nobody else feel this would create a cleaner experience yet still allow for relative data to be seen with just a click of the mouse.m?

7 Likes

Hi. I currently have two projects set up, but they share the same tasks. One project is a board which we use to show the progress of our deals and the other project is a list where we store data.

I currently have different fields set up in the different projects. Is there a way that when I view the task on Project A the fields from Project B are hidden and vice versa?

Hi @anon475165, thanks for reaching out!

As it stands, itā€™s currently not possible to hide custom fields when a task is multi-homed in different projects. We already have a request for this feature here: The ability to hide Custom Fields applied to a task that don't belong to the project in which the task is being viewed so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback.

We donā€™t have updated yet but we will make sure to post any updates as soon as we have more information :slight_smile:

This is really a critical feature for anyone multi-homing tasks and using fields for automation to move tasks around between projects. It has definitely been a source of endless frustration and results in the need for lots of mental gymnastics/workarounds to keep things clean.

I really hope that ā€˜votingā€™ isnā€™t the only mechanism for getting things done at Asana as there are so many major workflow issues that should be quite simple to fix that seem to never get done. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Lastly, Iā€™d gently suggest that any paying customers with issues theyā€™d like to see addressed politely contact the ā€˜salesā€™ department at Asana. Perhaps they will get pushed faster when an issue arises that affects customer retention and isnā€™t just relegated to a ā€˜feature improvement requestā€™ backlog coming from the community forum managers alone.

6 Likes

Hi,

Our team works in alot with layers in Asana where projects are included in other projects and at the end someone is asigned a task.

When the assignee receives the task it may already be connected to 2 or more projects. The result of this is that all custom fields from the other projects is showing up in the detailed view.

As information we have ā€builtā€ our own ā€œMy Tasks projectā€ as a project in Asana since My Tasks is missing the customization that is possible in a project.

Now back to the issue, even if the assignee has chosen to hide the field from their ā€œMy Task projectā€ view and cannot see it in List view, it still shows up in the detailed view if it exist in another project that is connected to the task. Could you please consider to implement that when choosing to hide (not delete) a field it does not show up in the detailed view of the task. What i see as a importent field depending of my work may not be as important for another one to see.

Thank,

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Patrik_Haasz! We already have a thread on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with The ability to hide Custom Fields applied to a task that don't belong to the project in which the task is being viewed to consolidate feedback!

I layout critical information in custom fields such as contract values and such. It would certainly be nice to hide custom fields when information should not be divulged to the assigneeā€™s.

I have voted as well but certainly hope Asana can move on this feature quickly.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already upvoted but wanted to keep this top of mind as Asana plans future roadmap items. This is a critical feature as we continue to roll out Asana and expand across our org. We currently have tasks multi-homed across several projects for visibility to all Global teams. The loooooooonnng list of custom fields on the task is distracting and causes confusion. Taking away from the overall efficiency and effectiveness that Asana provides. Would love to see this feature sooner rather than later!

3 Likes

This would be amazing! I really hope you introduce this feature at some point. We are really struggling with all the custom fields being shown to everyone when the task lives in many projects.

We highly request a feature where parts of the info in the card can be hidden from some users. Our use case is customers collaborating with us as an agency. Some parts are connected to a task we donā€™t want them to see, for internal eyes only. The current solution is to have a connected card on a board the customer canā€™t access. This is not a feasible way of working for us.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi, I wanted to check in and get an update on the status of this feature roll-out. Custom fields are becoming more robust and integral throughout many userā€™s workspaces. The ability to hide sensitive information (like pricing and budgets) is a ā€œmust haveā€ at this point.

Is this still in the works?

11 Likes

Chiming in here with the same questions! Any update on this now that weā€™re in 2024? (Looks like itā€™s been 4 years since originally requested?)

My organization is about a year into our adoption of Asana, and while multi-homing a task is a great feature, itā€™s getting difficult to use task fields effectively because thereā€™s so much clutter on tasks that live in 3 or 4+ projects.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, is there any update on this feature? ā€œAbility to set visibility of custom field based on the projectā€™s section OR by logged-in userā€

This feature would add a lot of value to our organization, and help facilitate migrating users from other products (i.e. Jira ā†’ Asana).