Templated Task Dependancies linking to other projects

Using a custom template that has dependencies only meant to be specific to one project, using it to start multiple new projects…finding that the dependencies are now linked to multiple tasks in other projects (with the same task name) and not the specific project they are in. How do I avoid this? I did make a number of new projects concurrently and not one at a time from the same template.

Hi @Ben_Blodgett, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Let’s work on this one together. To be sure I am providing you with the best solution, would you mind providing a little more detail here?

I understand that you have used a custom project template with dependencies to create multiple new projects however, could you provide some more context around what’s happening with the dependencies?

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :slight_smile:

Here is an example, Once the project is created I’m getting added dependencies that are linked to other projects (just happen to be the project or two created before or after the correct one). In this example, the top dependency is linked to another project and the bottom is linked to the correct project. I don’t want any tasks to be dependant on tasks from other projects.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.01.55 PM

@Rebecca_McGrath Does the example I senet help?

Hi,

I am confused: do you have dependencies within the template, and why not remove them from the template?

1 Like

@Ben_Blodgett in this example do you have a dependency set within your template where a parent task is blocked by another task (parent or sub task) within the template as well?

I believe I have seen the same myself where a duplication of the template (or creating a project from the template) will create new unwelcomed dependencies back on the template. In this case, as you continue to create new projects from the template you have additional unrelated dependencies. Is this your experience? If so, happy to create a screen recording to demonstrate for others. Just let me know.

1 Like

Blocking/Blocked tasks getting assigned to wrong project/tasks up when quickly creating multiple new projects from same template.

Steps to reproduce:
With a project template that has tasks with dependencies, make a new project from the template and then before that finishes, quickly make another new project from the same template. You will find that the task dependencies are all messed up pointing at tasks in the two new projects.

Browser version:
Google Chrome
Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Screenshots

Hi @Aaron_Paul, thanks for flagging this! :slight_smile: I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this one from @Ben_Blodgett, as it looks like you may be experiencing the same issue!

Our Engineering Team have confirmed that this is indeed a bug. I’ll get back to you on this thread once I have an update!

Thanks for jumping in here @LEGGO & @Bastien_Siebman :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi folks,

I can confirm that our Engineering Team have pushed a fix for this! :tada: All should be working as normal.

Please let me know if you’re still experiencing these issues. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.