Template Sharing

If someone wants to use a custom template built by a coworker in their organization, do they need to have permission to access the original project? Or can the original project be private and unviewable to the user, while the template made from that project can be a template option when they go to create a new project?

For backstory, our organization makes a lot of custom templates that aren’t tied to a specific project. We want people to be able to use those templates without necessarily having to see unnecessary projects in their toolbar.

Hopefully this questions makes sense, but let me know if you need clarification.

4 Likes

Hi @anon5797104, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

This is certainly possible! You can convert the project to template and make sure the template project is public. By doing so, everyone in your Organization will see this template when they create a new project. The template will be under the section “By (your Organizations name)”.

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 17.21.18

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

You did not answer my question. My question is:

Can I create a private project that stays private, but share a template of that project publicly with my organization?

Hi @anon5797104 :slight_smile:

No, if your template project is private it won’t be searchable or visible by your Organization’s members and they won’t be able to create new projects using this template. Your template needs to be public.

As a workaround, you can create a public team and home all template projects in this team. By doing so, you won’t see all template projects in your main team.

Can we share template link in general or JUST those we’ve added to organization as users? For example, if I create a template for my team (OUTSIDE of Asana) for them to view but they’d have to create Asana account to use, can they view it and then make a copy of it that they can then edit if they choose VS me adding them and being charged as users?

5 Likes