Tasks created from task template have no dependencies (worked previously)

Hello,

I have a task template that I use across dozens of projects. In the last few days, I noticed that tasks crated from the template do not have dependencies. The dependencies are in the task template but no longer get created with the task. Creating tasks from the same template worked days prior so something is up. This is a huge problem, as I have rules based on those dependencies to move work through a flow of over 20 people.

Thanks for any feedback!

3 Likes

@Amy_Greenstadt,

I just tried to duplicate your issue but it works for me.

Try these troubleshooting steps, then please create a support ticket: see How to contact our Support Team.

Also, may I move this topic out of this private category so 700k+ others can benefit from it?

Thanks,

Larry

That link gives me a URL No Longer Exists.

You can please move it as someone else in the Asana Ambassador slack was having the issue as well.

Thanks!

Which link? There were two. Maybe this is better:

https://help.asana.com/s/article/troubleshooting-browser-and-connectivity-issues

See also the following because there are issues with the new Help/Support that rolled out this weekend:

Hey Larry!

I’m seeing the same issue as Amy but within custom rules and reported it to Support last week.

I’d be happy to record a quick video that illustrates a rule and then the subsequent subtasks as they being built without the dependencies. Would that highlight the issue clearly? It’s happening across all our projects that leverage custom rules where we are adding subtasks with dependencies. Let me know, thanks!

1 Like

I am also experiencing this problem. I have had tasks with dependencies set up and once they are added to my project the dependencies are no longer there (in list or Gannt view)

@Danielle_Kraft,

Your issue is also with dependencies, but doesn’t match the title of this topic, so if there’s not already a Tips and Tricks topic that matches what you’re experiencing you can add yours if you haven’t gotten some more conclusive Support reply back yet.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

To reproduce:

• Create a task with 5 subtasks.
  • Make each subtask dependent on the one above it
  • Save it as a task template
  • Create a task from the template - no dependencies

Simple test task template no dependencies

1 Like

My test started with a new task template creation, not saving an existing task as a template, FYI…

I am also experiencing the same issue with dependencies. I’ve tried creating a new task template but that didn’t work. The dependencies are there in the template but do not appear once a task is created from the template. It had been working fine up until about a week ago.

@lpb - could you reproduce it with the steps I provided? Thanks.

I am having the same issue. Originally I tried with an existing task template, but I also tried creating a new task template and it did not work.

When I try to make one of the subtasks in my template dependent on another and then use the template to create a task, it does not create dependencies.

I can’t add more than one photo, but I’m adding a screenshot showing the dependencies saved on the template, but it still doesn’t work.

1 Like

Same issue. This is with a project template we’ve used for months now. All tasks and milestones are made as normal.

Some, but not all dependencies are being created. There appears to be no real pattern as to which dependencies are connected.

This seems to me like a bug with Asana. This has been submitted to their support email.

1 Like

It sounds like there’s already corroboration with additional reports, but I didn’t try to reproduce.

I am also having the same issue. I have a task template with subtasks with dependencies that used to work but it stopped working.
A task created from the template 2 week ago shows the proper dependencies.
A task created from the same template 6 days ago does not have the dependencies.

@Vanessa_N - here’s the bug report. This is having a significant impact on my client who reported it today to me. I verified it’s also broken in my company’s account as well.

Task template dependencies AND rule-based dependencies (between subtasks) do not work at all. They can be added manually, but they are not populating from the templates or the rules.

1 Like

Hi everyone, and @Bryan_TeamKickstart, thanks for tagging me here. Apologies for the trouble.

I’ve reached out to our Technical team for clarification on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. Once confirmed that this is indeed a bug, the Developers will triage it right away, and I’ll move the topic to the Bugs Category.

2 Likes

I built some task templates with dependencies for routine email requests.

The dependencies are no longer being built when I use the template.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi everyone,

3 days ago a new issue came up. When the rule runs for parent tasks and creates the subtasks , doesn’t add the dependencies as the rule says. So every subtask is unblocked and other rules run based on that and this problem causes confusion.

how can you help ?

1 Like

Hi @i.lagou, sorry to hear you’re running into issues. This has already been reported in a previous thread, and we’ve escalated the case to our Developers for further investigation. I’m merging your topic with the original post so you can follow any updates there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes