Tasks created by Asana returns null created_by array

Hi!
I’ve noticed that when I send this request:
https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/tasks/{{Task_ID}}?opt_fields=created_by,created_by.name,created_by.resource_type
for tasks created by Asana the created_by response is null. I couldn’t find any documentation on this so I wanted to check if that was normal. When I send this get request for a task GID created by a user it will return their information.
Thanks!

Hey @anon77823507, we came across similar issue. Were you able to locate the root cause?

Sorry you’re having issues here. @anon77823507 @anon72728481 – could you please provide a bit more context on what you’re trying to accomplish?

When I make this request:
GET /tasks/{task_gid}?opt_fields=created_by,created_by.name,created_by.resource_type

I get the expected response:

{
  "data": {
    "gid": "12345678243599",
      "created_by": {
      "gid": "24390542395742",
      "name": "John Smith",
      "resource_type": "user"
    }
  }
}

@anon77823507, @anon72728481, and @Jeff_Schneider,

For an Asana-created task like “Consider updating your project progress”, I can confirm that I too get a null value for created_by so I imagine that’s by design.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for clarifying, Larry. I didn’t catch the “tasks created by Asana” qualifier in Sam’s question. Yes, this is expected behavior. I will look into how we might document this so it’s more clear.

1 Like