Task Template from Calendar View

Hello,
My company uses Asana for construction project schedules so we use the Calendar view primarily. I recently discovered the use of Task Templates which are AWESOME - BUT I would really like to be able to pull the task template option from the calendar view rather than having to switch to the list view. My less techno-savvy project managers simply don’t think to switch to List view. I know it’s just a different click, but the visualization of the schedule from the Calendar view makes a big difference.
Thanks!
Kelsea

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Kelsea_Nemcek! We are planning some updates for calendar view and we hope to add this option soon. I’ll keep you posted as soon as we have an estimated date to launch this feature.

Hi @Emily_Roman, I was wondering if you had an update on this feature since it would be hugely helpful for our teams as well. Fingers crossed it’s not too far away now!

1 Like

Commenting here as well @Emily_Roman .

We love the task template feature and want to use it on our content calendar.

However, we operate from the Calendar view. I will click on a day to add a new blog post to our calendar.

On every other view (Board, List, Timeline) I see an option to “Add new” and use a task template. However, there is no such option in Calendar view.

Having this option would be immensely helpful so we don’t have to toggle to our (cluttered) list view!

@Emily_Roman A big +1 to what others have mentioned above . We primarily work in the calendar view when building out our content calendar. The ability to use templates there would be a huge time saver.

Voted. I use calendar view for my marketing content calendar and this would be super helpful!

It’s been 2 years, is there any movement on creating an Add Task Template option to Calendar view? Switching views to create tasks from templates is an extra step that’s very unnecessary. I’d love to see this added very soon.

+1 for this request; an especially big pain-point for projects that kinda revolve around the idea of a calendar view. Eg, we have a Communications Calendar project, where the default view is (naturally) the calendar, and we pretty much never venture over to the list or board views…so having to do that just to leverage a template is pretty counter-intuitive for the team.

Would love to see a simple button at the top of calendar view, or—to preserve the “click-in-a-date-cell to create a new task” functionality—maybe a right or double-click context menu w/ task templates available as options.

Hi,

I have different customer that I’m helping organize their company in Asana that asked me why they can’t use the template tasks that I prepared for them but only blank tasks when adding task to a project that is managed on calendar view.

Can this be improved so that users can add template tasks by clicking on the calendar?

Thanks,

@anon86337675,

I’ve merged your request into an existing thread so if you haven’t already, you can vote at the top of this thread.

Thanks,

Larry

My team and I have a revolving project where we strictly use calendar view to manage our marketing calendar. We various forms of tasks based on what campaign’s we’re sending. Most of these tasks have various sub-tasks and settings that should/would be best duplicated from a template.

To add items to the calendar, it’s easiest/best to do it directly from the calendar view, so to do this within List View is not workable.

Currently, I’m having to duplicate 6-10 subtasks for every single campaign. What a long and redundant process!

Here’s a quick video showing exactly what I’m talking about: 2023-03-29_13-30-21 - TechSmith Screencast - TechSmith Screencast

Creating new tasks from templates is SOOOO close… let’s just move it over to calendar view as well as List View so we can get back to crushing our work days!!! We can’t be the only ones that would benefit from this feature.

Hi @Josh_Taylor, and thanks for your question.

If you don’t mind, I will merge it with an existing topic (to enhance the chance for the idea to be picked-up by the product team) :rocket:

Don’t forget to cast your vote there :wink:

Very much needed feature!

1 Like

I have found a workaround that suits my purposes. Instead of a template, you can create a rule that automatically adds subtasks whenever a new task is created. The subtasks can be configured however you need, just as in a template. Similar rules are probably possible to configure the parent task.

The downside is you are stuck with one task/subtask configuration per project.

Hope this helps people, but the Asana team really should add a templates option to the calendar view!

This would be such a beneficial feature for managing a revolving content calendar. Any update? Looks like it’s been 2 years since the original post.

August of 2023…and o movement on adding this simple feature to the calendar view? :dotted_line_face:

1 Like

We really need the ability to use Task Templates in the Calendar view! Our marketing team solely uses the calendar view for the purpose of email scheduling and our email process has THE MOST subtasks of any process at our organization. Having to switch to the List view just to add a task is so cumbersome! Please add on the ability to use Task Templates with the Calendar view soon!

We use the calendar view for our content calendar and it’s very annoying and frustrating to constantly have to switch back to List view just to create a task. This should be a very simple and easy fix from a software perspective. It’s been 2 years… can we get an update???

1 Like

Another +1 for this. It’s really slowing us down that we can’t add a task in calendar view using templates!

+1 here! Feature parity across different views is important. I have several groups at my organization who use Calendar view to create editorial calendars, and spinning up new tasks from templates while staying in Calendar view would be big.