Task from Subtask Custom Field Equations - Same as "Column functions"

It would be very beneficial to have a custom field be an equation of it’s related subtask fields. This would function just as “Column functions” do.

For Example: If my custom field is “Time” and I have 4 subtasks with 1 hour each assigned to that field, the master task would automatically update with a “SUM” of 4 hours. (Average, Minimum, Maximum, and Count functions ideally available as well.)

The reason this is a problem is that the Column Functions in list view factor in the fields of both the master task and subtasks in the equation which isn’t useful because they pertain to the same information and skew the equation.

For Example: If the master tasks “Time” field is 8 and each of the four subtasks is 2 than the Column function shows the SUM as 16, when it should ideally still be 8.

Hello,

Is there a way for the parent task to display the sum of its subtasks?

As you can see Image 1, if I were to hide all the subtasks, it looks like the parent task has no value.
Image 1.

I would like the parent task to automatically display the sum of its subtasks (see image 2).
Image 2.

Note: If I were to manually input the total value of the subtasks into the parent task (without removing the values in the subtasks), the final sum at the bottom of the section would add the value of the parent task and its subtasks, which is not the correct representation (see image 3).
Image 3.

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi @C_C, thanks for reaching out! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to see the sum of a number custom field in subtasks automatically populated in its parent task. We already have a thread for this request so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback. We’ll make sure to update the main thread as soon as we have any news!

1 Like

Thank you @Emily_Roman! Sorry, I didn’t see this thread. :bowing_woman:t2: