Syncable Sections: option to multi-home entire sections

We are aligning project plans across boards and Teams by assigning a task to multiple projects.
An option to assign entire sections in a similar way would make it possible to sync projects dynamically.

It would also fix my issues with portfolio view that we dont use because we can only sync highlevel milestones on the portfolio timeline.

Welcome to the Asana community Forum @Mikkel1! Just to make sure I understood your request, would you like to duplicate the entire section including the tasks or do you want to assign all tasks under a specific section to one user? :slight_smile:

No, it´s not a duplicate option but a “sync across multiple projects” feature I request. See attached screenshot, where I show the similar feature on a Task.
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 11.41.14

Got it @Mikkel_Eskesen! Thanks for clarifying!

Hi, @Emily_Roman. Is this possible? I saw where this died off in November of 2020 but I could also see a great need for this.

The pro for me would be that if I can multi-home a section, then any task added to that section would automatically multi-some within the multi-homed section.

I can obviously do this manually, but could be really nice to automate it so there’s no chance of forgetting to do it when adding a new task.

1 Like

I would very much benefit from this functionality as well.

I did find a workaround for this. It might take a while to setup depending on the number of sections - so i’d advise to keep the amount of sections to a minimum - but it can work quite well after initial set-up. It does involve rules though, so I believe the enterprise version is required.

Make sure that the projects you’d want to sync across have identical sections. (I personally work with one big “mother project” that has all my todo’s of my individual projects)
Create a custom single select field and give it a logical name. (I will call it section for simplicity), add it to your organisations library, and add the sections.
Add the custom field from the library in the projects to sync sections.
Set up rules for all projects to sync across, two for each section:
Rule 1: Trigger: → To section section_name, Action: Set section to section_name_from_field
Rule 2: Trigger: section changed to section_name_from_field Action: → Move task to a certain section section_name

This will work for all tasks that exist in these different projects. If you want only certain tasks to sync (if there are tasks that exist in these multiple projects that you don’t want to sync) you can add trigger requirements for instance by adding a single select field called sync_sections with one option sync, and add the Trigger sync_sections changed to sync to all rules.

I hope this helps. But I’m all for adding this as functionality in Asana. I’d see it in the form of a checkbox in the project settings:
sync section change across projects. (only works for tasks that have an identically named destination section.)

1 Like