Subtasks not showing up in inbox

New to Asana here. When creating a task that has a subtask, the subtask (assigned a person and a due date) are not showing up in the inbox. They are showing up in the task list, but not the inbox. Is it possible to have subtasks show up in the inbox?

1 Like

Hi @csblevs, thanks for reaching out!

Your Inbox displays updates on all tasks and subtasks that you collaborate on or are assigned within a given Workspace or Organization. When the subtask is assigned to you, a notification will appear in your inbox.

If you have a notification for a task that has subtasks, you will only see the notification related to the task. You’ll need to open the task to see more details and its subtasks.

I hope this helps!

It makes it clear. Thank you!

1 Like

That makes sense, but doesn’t solve the problem. If I have a task with multiple subtasks needed to complete the larger task, and those subtasks don’t show as being overdue (while the parent task is not overdue), then it increases the risk that that project will be delayed.

For example - if today is May 15th, and I have a parent task called - “Meet with all Department Managers” - that is due on May 21st, then the task will show upcoming in my task list.
But if that task has a subtask for each department Manager, and the subtask of “Meet with John” was due on May 6th, how can I see that this task is overdue? How can I flag the status of subtasks to ensure that they are completed on time?

Are you suggesting that I regularly open each and every parent task to ensure that all subtasks are on track?

1 Like

I wish someone would have answered you Elizabeth! That is my current problem.

Hi Emily, could you please help answer Elizabeth and Christa’s question? I would also like to understand how to advise my team on subtasks. Thanks!

Hi @Irene_Sciamanna, thanks for reaching out! For a subtask to appear in your My Tasks list, it must be assigned to you. When you assign the subtask to you, you can also monitor the due date easier in your task list by creating a rule that notifies you when the due date is approaching or had passed.

You can learn more in these articles:

I hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.