Subtask numbers are not properly updating

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: Previously when I completed a subtask the number in the main panel would be updated to shower fewer pending subtasks. This is no longer the case and now the total remains constant at the total number of sub-tasks regardless of their completion status.

Steps to reproduce:
Pretty much as it sounds - create a task, add some subtasks, click the check to complete them. The number will flicker down by one for a split second and then reset back to the total.

Browser version: Chrome
Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Jason_Oliver, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Having tested this on my end, I can confirm that the number of subtasks remains the same once completed. I’ll double check with our Product team if this is intended behaviour!

In the meantime, could you please try out the troubleshooting steps below and let me know if these affect the behaviour at all.

Looking forward to hearing back from you :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,
I just went through relevant aspects of troubleshooting. Tried it in multiple browsers (Edge, Firefox), cleared the cache, made sure Chrome was updated, tried disabling extensions and successfully established a WebSocket. Nothing of any apparent concern. For what its worth, I’ve also tried this across multiple systems (two windows, one mac) so I think the odds of it being something system-specific are very low.

I can’t imagine this would be intended behaviour given it seems illogical and didn’t work like this before, but please let me know what you find out! Hopefully an easy fix for someone. Keep me posted.

Jason

Hi @Jason_Oliver, thanks for following up! I’ve double checked this with our Product team and they have indeed confirmed that this is intended behaviour. In fact, they have confirmed that when completed the number of subtasks shown in the list view has never decreased. :slight_smile:

I hope this clears things up, Jason! :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,
With all due respect - whoever you spoke to on the product team is incorrect. This is a recent change and was absolutely not the case from when I started using Asana until as recently as a few months ago, though I suppose it is possible the fact that it was happening for so long was a bug. Oddly enough, when you check something off it counts down briefly before resetting to the total, which would be extremely weird behavior if some code to cause it to decrease was never in place.

Either way, the current intended function actually seems rather inconvenient from a project management standpoint, at least based on how I use Asana. It was very helpful to glance down the row and see how many tasks remained to be completed for each major project. Any possibility of this being reintroduced as an option?

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

When I complete a sub task, the subtask count to the right of the task goes down momentarily and then goes back up. I’m not sure what the correct behavior should be but this doesn’t seem right.

Should that count down to zero?

Steps to reproduce: See video keep your eye on the subtas...

Browser version: Chrome 93.0.4577.82

Upload screenshots below: See video above

@Patrick_Stinus,

I believe Asana will say this is not a bug, though I agree it could be handled better.

The count is governed by whether you’re showing All or just Incomplete (or Completed) tasks.

If you close up the right-side Task Detail pane and change All Tasks to Incomplete Tasks then you won’t see the flash anymore.

It’s just a function of Asana taking a moment to make the calculation when All Tasks is the setting.

Larry

3 Likes

Hi @Patrick_Stinus, thanks for reaching out!

We have a similar closed thread on this topic from some time ago → Subtask numbers are not properly updating

I’ve double checked this with our Product team and they have indeed confirmed that this is intended behaviour.

I hope this clarifies! :slight_smile:

1 Like