Sorting in Asana

Awesome, thanks! I’ve voted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys, just merging this thread with Sorting in Asana to avoid duplicates! :slight_smile:

First, let me say that I use today, upcoming, later and it’s great. This is built in to Asana and it reminds you when tasks are due as well as automagically moves them among the 3 lists as needed (assuming you put due dates on everything). Sorting your Today list manually should really be done every day since sorting by date doesn’t do anything if all tasks are due today lol.

The major issue I have is that items I place in the “Upcoming” section are not sorted by date. That’s why I’m here voting +1. I have to manually sort these and it’s really annoying. Now one could argue that I don’t HAVE to do that since Asana will automatically move them up to “Today” as needed. That doesn’t change the fact that I need to review my upcoming from time to time and potentially drag move things to “Today”. It also doesn’t change the fact that my OCD is furious with dates out of order lol.

Please please please add due date sorting by default to “Upcoming”.

Now I’d like to address the idea of custom Sections sorting. While I would like sorting in individual sections we create… this will require a pretty major overhaul to their code. Currently Sections we create using a colon (or clicking the “Add Section” button) are just a fancy task (bold/underline). There are a couple views where sections matter but for the most part they are NOT tied to ANY tasks below them. This would make adding sorting options futile as there is nothing to sort. Custom Sections would need to actually contain the tasks below them (not as subtasks…) in order to sort per Section. This is definitely possible; however, it’s much less probable than just getting due date sorting for Today/Upcoming/Later

2 Likes

“My Tasks” List - I would like to see the “sort” option set up similar to what is available in Excel’s sort feature. For example: View incomplete tasks by project, then by due date.

Within Projects - I would like to see an additional sort level to sort by the assignee, then by due date

Currently, I do not see a way to sort in that manner and based on the community posts it doesn’t look like Asana has a multi-level sort feature. Kindly advise.

Hi @Kristen_Kramer! I’ve gone ahead and added your post to Sorting in Asana to gather all feedback on one thread! :slight_smile:

Currently, We are able to sort a project with 1 choice. I using a lot Assigne and custom field but I cant’ see assigned end due date.
Then I have to choice see all tasks by due date but hard to identify assigne or I see all tasks by assign but its hard to see the planning.
It will be really nice to combine both

Currently, We are able to sort a project with only 1 choice. I m using a lot Assigne and custom field choice but I cant’ have a vision with assigned and due date.
Then I have 2 choices

1. All tasks by due date but hard to identify assigne
  2. All tasks by assign but its hard to see the planning.
    It will be really nice to combine both
1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback @Benoit_Bouffard! We already have a thread on this topic: Sorting in Asana so I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with this main post. Feel free to vote on the main thread! :slight_smile:

Vote done :slight_smile:

Benoit

1 Like

I would like to be able to sort the tasks in my project first by a custom field, then alphabetically with that sort. For instance I have a custom field for “When” (such as sooner or later). If I sort by “when” the tasks are all jumbled. If I sort by “Alphabetical” I lose the sort by “When”. Do I really have to manually put them in alpha order? Thanks.

Hi @Julia_Brine
This isn’t possible yet, however I’ve moved your post to our #productfeedback category so our developers can take a look at your request and hopefully consider it in the near future :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi guys! Merging this post with Sorting in Asana - #75 by Marie to gather all feedback around sorting options!

I’m pretty discouraged to see tiered sorting requests as far back as early 2017 but still no set development to fix this. I have been testing the free version of Asana to see if I would recommend this tool to clients (from our consulting business). Without being able to sort task lists by owner and due date OR without being able to sort boards by due date and have easier ways of removing closed tasks, currently I can’t recommend this. If Asana could provide a timeline you will fix this sorting issue I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

I love that I can manually move the tasks in “My Tasks” to suit what I need. I do not want that to change, but it would be nice to have a “clean up” button which can update that view to be in date order within the “today” and " upcoming" sections. It gets time-consuming to manually rearrange them when I need to have them in order, it’d be nice to just click a button to rearrange them. But I’d want to continue manually reordering them, clicking the button wouldn’t force that reorganize to remain in effect. It’d be a one-time action, when I need it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback @Sarah1! We already have a thread on this topic: Sorting in Asana so I have gone ahead and merged your post into the main thread. Feel free to add your vote on the main thread! :wink:

Commenting to agree.

I would love to see the option to have a primary sort and a secondary sort too!

Any updates here @Alexis ?

Would also love this feature.

1 Like

Alexis is no longer working at Asana…