Sorting in Asana

projectview
sorting

Hi @Ben_Ard; unfortunately, I don’t have an update to share at the moment, but we’re closely monitoring this feedback thread and I’ll be in touch as soon as I have an update!

I would just like to add my strong support for this feature!

I am currently working as a TA at my university, and we are using Asana to organize our work for grading, improvements, and other tasks. For our work, we have several tasks divided across multiple sections. We would like to be able to organize each section by upcoming due dates to more easily prioritize tasks. Unfortunately, when sorting by due date, Asana currently moves all section headers to the bottom and groups all the tasks together at the top.

Any work toward adding this functionality would be a tremendous benefit to me and my school. Thank you all for your work, and I hope to see this feature in the future!

I also sometimes have the need to put a later-due task up the list. Perhaps there should be a feature added to each task’s “…” or right below each project name in each task’s viewing pane to pin this task to the top of My Tasks, or to the top of specific sections.

The only concern I have is if the task is located within multiple projects but those projects either don’t have the same sections, no sections, or that the same task in those projects don’t have the same reordering need as the original task at hand. Where project(s) are listed in the viewing pane, perhaps all projects listed here for this task should have it’s own sorting specificity (pin to top, pin to top of section x, etc.) and the default would be pin to top of page? The “…” could have the default selection to pin to top of all tasks in current project AND across projects it is in. Any deviations from this default of pinned to the top of all tasks with the current or across projects that it’s in will need to be manually done.

Hope this makes sense.

'would be great to have a sort by person who assigned task to you or "Assigned By" as well.

Multi-layer Sort/Grouping View

Any updates?

Today, I was thinking that it would be great if I could shift-select multiple tasks and then, under the more actions menu, reorder by due date.

This would be a fast way to manually sort tasks within a section. But it could also be used anywhere, across sections if you want. It wouldn’t require creating a new default filter, but would instead just be a way to expedite manually re-ordering (which is the current status quo). With a keyboard shortcut for reorder by due date, this would be perfect for me.

What do you think, Asana?

Omg I made to the bottom of this monster thread.

So… is Asana listening?

Another +1.

Our use case: we’re using a custom field to set roadmap timing (2018, 2019, future, backlog), and we’re using native tags to group up related project ideas that might sum up into unified larger efforts (site redesign, etc.). And we have a priority field. So we want to sort by timing (to group together all the 2018 stuff), then within that group together by tag, and/or sort by priority.

Another vote here!

My whole team is asking for this. We work in volume, thousands of events a year, and a team of developers on many of the events.

Looking for sort by Project AND Due Date. As well as sorting by date within sections.

Yeah me too… this is actually pretty critical. We have a bunch of projects that all have similarly named tasks, so when I click on My Tasks and sort by date all I see are a bunch of the exact same task because you can’t see what project it’s in… really surprised this isn’t already a feature (or actually I’m surprised it isn’t default!)

+10000000. Sections are useless no,it becomes a mess when you sort tasks.

We suggest that in upcoming roll out of the new Sections/Task Sections model, users have the ability to sort within sections or sort on at least 2 custom fields (more would be better). We currently use custom fields in most projects in lieu of sections because we can sort on them, and sections haven’t been useful for organization as they exist today. Looking forward to them being more useful, and hopefully sort-able, in the future!

It would be great to be able to sort tasks within My Tasks by two criteria e.g. due date & projects.

I work through My Tasks as my daily guide but like most others don’t jump to another project until the current one is up to date.

I know it’s just a visual thing with the different projects having different colours but it would be handy to have them batch by due date and then projects.

Thanks for your feedback @John_MacPherson :slight_smile: We already have a thread on this topic, so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread. Feel free to add your vote to the main thread as Votes do not carry over when threads are merged!

Just piling on an adding support for multiple sorting options including reverse sorts.

We are using Teamwork for one purpose, and that’s to track media inquires in their messaging system. I’m trying to get us out of Teamwork and fully in Asana, but it makes it very hard when our team needs to sort things by date entered and we want the most recent stuff at the top, but it keep all older stuff first. We probably won’t even want to complete these tasks as they aren’t really tasks, they are tracking interactions with the media. So reverse sorting is a must.

I tried various things with the custom fields, but I can’t get anything to work.