Show Tag Field Always

Is it possible to always show the tags field when creating and editing tasks?

Having to go to the drop down menu or using Tab + T is an additional step in an often used feature. This might not be bad for a few tasks, but each step adds to the total time required to create tasks.

If you want users to use tags, it needs to be more streamlined and obvious.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Hi @Stanford_Griffith and thanks for reaching out!

As it stands it is not possible to have the Tag field appearing by default on all tasks you create in a project, but this is something we could consider for future updates. In the meantime, you might want to look into Custom Fields; once added to your project, the custom field will automatically appear on each task you create in this project!

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes, please! This is so time consuming to have to click every time. And on a Mac, the TAB+T doesn’t even work so it takes extra long to add the tag. I use the tag on every single task I build so this is incredibly tedious and seems like a no-brainer. We should be able to customize which fields are default for all tasks based on how we use the product, this being a perfect example. Otherwise you’re making a useful field (for someone who wants to leverage it) very un-user-friendly. Thank you!

16 Likes

Hi, I came across this discussion and have the same thoughts. I noticed the conversation is nearly 2 years old, so I was wondering if there has been any progression on this? And if we can make tags automatic when making and editting a task. Thanks!

9 Likes

Yes, please make it visible always. Why would you hide tags field??

6 Likes

Hi There - why are tag fields hidden? We use them all the time. Please enable tags as a field option when selected. Hiding it is pointless.

4 Likes

Also following up here. @Marie , any updates?

6 Likes

@Marie just wondering if this is being reviewed

2 Likes

+1. The tag field should not be hidden. At least have it as an account preference.

2 Likes

+1 I would also find this useful. The keyboard shortcut also does not work in the Asana desktop app, and it is time consuming to have to add the tags field to every new task created.

3 Likes

Agreed 100% it’s time-consuming, and we have a difficult time getting the team to adopt adding the field manually due to the extra steps and time it takes.

2 Likes

Chiming in here, as a new user of Asana, baffled as to why a field as useful as “tags” is hidden?? It doesn’t make a lot sense. Any updates?

2 Likes

Also following up on this. It’s been about 4 years since Asana’s CPM’s reply.

Any update, Asana?

1 Like

I’d like to have Tags visible by default as well. My guess is that this is intentionally not being worked on as an option because Asana wants users to upgrade to a paid plan so they can use Custom Fields instead.

If they make Tags visible by default, my hunch is that less people would upgrade from the free plan. I’ve been paying for the most basic plan, but I’m going to downgrade to free again since I’m forced to purchase 2 seats, even though I only need 1. The custom fields were helpful, but not helpful enough to warrant paying for 2 users when I only need for 1. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who feels this way, so they’re losing potential sales from those who don’t work in teams.

I’m going to force myself to remember to add Tags so I can save myself more than $250/year. Were there an option to purchase a 1 seat plan, I wouldn’t revert back to the free plan.

So even though it’s a hassle to not see the Tags by default, I’m going that route.

To be clear, Asana Premium offers many more features in addition to just custom fields, so I wanted to make sure others reading this are aware of that.

You can compare at Asana Pricing | Personal, Starter, Advanced, & Enterprise plans • Asana (especially by clicking Compare all features). I count about a dozen major features not in Asana Basic.

Thanks,

Larry

lpb’s reply says it all. Asana has created a “new” feature that is only available on paid plans that has the same functionality but is also an upgrade over a feature that is available on the free plans, but then has removed functionality from the free feature that previously existed to force more people to upgrade to a paid plan.

I’m not saying that Asana’s paid tiers are not worth it (my business is currently on the Business pricing tier). What I am saying is that Asana has used and continues to use less than ethical tactics to try to increase their paid user base.

Welcome, @Kevin_Clark,

I’m not sure that my reply relates to the content of your post and just wanted to note that.

What functionality did Asana remove?

Thanks,

Larry

The tags field used to be visible by default and Asana also used to allow you to enable Tags to show in the list view of projects. Both of these functionalities were removed in 2016 when Asana introduced the Custom Fields feature which is only available to users on paid plans.

I, like you, am an advocate for the paid Asana plans. I just don’t agree with businesses removing features that were once free in order to get more users to upgrade. My previous comment was trying to highlight how your recommended solution is not only the solution that Asana wants users to choose, but that the problem only exists in the first place because Asana created it in order for you to need their solution.

1 Like

@Kevin_Clark,

Enabling tags to show in List view was never removed as this current screenshot shows:

It’s true that it used to be on by default, and now it’s off by default, but the above shows how to toggle it on. Respectfully, we can only speculate on the reason Asana chose to toggle it off, but I know that they have made many other changes (based on usage data, usability, and A/B tests) to unclutter and simplify Asana overall, which this change contributes too.

To be clear, I’m also an advocate for the free Asana plan.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Why doesn’t it simply remembers you’ve set the tags column to display and just stays this way until the user changes it in the “Hide” selection (or lets call it setting)??
I’d love having it displayed by default, as it gets frustrating having to re-select it every time, but, then you’ll have people complaining that they don’t want it.
“Just” remember the user selection on the “Hide” selection and it’s a done deal !

1 Like