Send Emails from a Catch All email to Asana

I think I may have stumped even support on this one…

For most of our external customers, we have a “catch all” email that they use to submit requests, that for us would be converted to tasks in Asana. Think of it like a “support@yourdomain.com” type of email address. This address has no inbox, but instead simply exists to forward any message sent there to another address. I am trying to get this set up to create tasks either within a project, or somehow add the task to our organization but I am having zero luck.

Support’s only suggestion was to create a new user for this catch all email and add them to said project, but there has to be a better way than spending $10-25 a month for a user that only exists just to be able to receive tasks via email, isn’t there? I’d like to hear it, I feel like I am missing something obvious here. Thanks for your help!

For additional reference, we tried doing this by forwarding directly to a project that we created for these external emails, but received an error

I couldn’t create your task because you are not in the same workspace as the project you are trying to add it to.

I tried doing it by adding the catch all address to my account and telling it to send forwarded emails to our organization, but received the error

I couldn’t create your task because I don’t know which workspace to put it in. Please visit your account settings to configure the dropbox for this email.

Hi @Tony_Sullivan, thanks for reaching out and sorry for the trouble!

Before creating tasks in Asana from emails, you’ll need to ensure that the email address have access to your Workspace, Organization or project in Asana. If the email address is not associated with an Asana account, you may receive a notification indicating that your task could not be created. This is to ensure that your account is safe from potential phishing and email spoofing. Please find more information in this article.

Please follow these steps to setup the email address you would like to send emails to your account and create tasks:

1. Click your profile photo in the top bar and select My Profile Settings
  2. Navigate to the Email Forwarding
  3. Select your support@yourdomain.com email

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

That’s exactly what I tried, and it did not work.

The first email address listed is mine, the second is the catch all email. Both are set to create tasks in our organization, but with this setup, it creates the error of

I couldn’t create your task because I don’t know which workspace to put it in. Please visit your account settings to configure the dropbox for this email.

I’m looking for how to get this set up in a manner that doesn’t involve creating a new user and spending $10-25 a month just to be able to have an email address to create tasks.

Hi @Tony_Sullivan, sorry for the late follow up here! This seems to be related to the auto-forwarding settings and how the emails are being auto-forwarded. For example, you are sending an email from example@gmail.com to support@yourdomain.com and then support@yourdomain.com automatically forward this mail to your project or My Tasks list. There is something in this process that is adding the wrong mail as the sender.

Unfortunately I don’t have the tools in the forum to have a closer look at the error you are experiencing. I’ve requested to our support team to follow up on the ticket you opened recently and they will be able to investigate this further.

Apologies again for any inconvenience. I hope this issue is solved soon!