See project name on each task on Board view

There are also several software development https://mlsdev.com/services/custom-software-development packages offered by software companies and organizations. Some software development companies offer free software development packages. However, these packages are more geared towards beginners in software development.

you have my vote

When in board view of ‘My Tasks’ it would be useful to instantly see the project a card is attached to or the tag assigned of My Tasks.
As I can’t filter My Tasks by project or tags, I have to role over each color bar to see which project it belongs to. it would save so much time and scrolling around, Is there a way to select a different view?

2 Likes

Hi @Debs_Joyce, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

We do have an existing thread for this request in the #productfeedback category already so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

Hi Phil,

Would you be able to illustrate how to do this process? I’m starting to use Flowsana and would love to see how to make this process work. Thank you!

Hi @Tyler_Stewart,

Sure - this is what you’d do to create such a rule in Flowsana:

The key is the rule action to modify the task’s name, and it uses Flowsana’s Variable Substitution capability which lets you insert many different task fields, {project.name} being just one of them.

Awesome, thank you for sharing! I have one more question on this:

If there are multiple projects that this task is linked to, can you select which {project.name} it pulls from?

This feature would be very helpful indeed instead of just having colours showing up on the cards! We also end up prefixing each task with some sort of project code to tell them apart.

My apologies, I missed this follow-up question previously.

No, sorry, there’s not a way to select; it uses the project where the rule is defined.

Adding to the list of people who would really benefit from this system. Having the project name clearly visible on each card would be so beneficial.

1 Like

Solved! We manage multiple projects and wanted to see the project visible on each card when in Board view during our stanudps. I’m assuming people in this forum are looking to differentiate tasks on a board that span across multiple projects, necessitating the creation of a Sprint Board. If so, here’s how I did it:

1. Create a new project entitled Sprint Board
  2. Within the Sprint Board, create a single-select custom field; the options will be the names of the projects that you wish to have visible in the board view
  3. Projects can be sorted however you choose (I went with alphabetical as it’s easy for PMs to find their project when populating the field, and it’s also easier for our portfolio manager to add/remove projects over time)
  4. Each project name option was also made the same color for consistency (although you could have them match the project).
  5. During creation, this field must be added to your organization’s database.
  6. In Board view, task card content is prioritized by how your columns are organized in List view. For example, I wanted the newly created custom field with project names near the TOP of the card during Board view - so I moved this column on the Sprint Board to the LEFT in List view.
  7. On the Sprint Board, this column MUST be visible (not hidden) for it to populate with project tasks when you switch to Board view.

Now you have to link the projects to this Sprint Board.

1. Go to an individual project with tasks you wish to add to the Sprint Board
  2. Add the Sprint Board project as an additional project to each task you want to populate on the Sprint Board
  3. Since you added the custom field to your company’s database during creation, you can now add the custom field to your individual projects via the “Customize” button. If you didn’t add it to your company’s database you can always check that option (Sprint Board → custom field dropdown menu → Edit Field).
  4. Once the custom field is added to the project, select the corresponding project from the dropdown. Since the Sprint Board was added to the task, AND both have the same custom column, the information will populate on both.
  5. For minimalists: While you can’t hide this field on the Sprint Board, you can hide it on the origin project (your working project). Prioritization is also not an issue, so if you don’t mind it being visible on your working project but don’t want it front and center - you can move this column anywhere you want. Column placement and visibility is critical only on the Sprint Board.

That’s it! You should be able to see your project name in Board view. It’s not as bad as it looks, but all that to say - I’d much rather not have to do all this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When i customise my board I can turn custom fields on and off. But I seem to have no control over Assigned and Projects fields. I am trying to show the projects field on the kanban card.

Hello @anon73226152,
you will be able to also enable the project to show
Screenshot_2174

However as it stands the project name does not show only the project colour
Screenshot 2022-07-06 115719
When you move over the coloured line you will see the project name.

Since there was an existing product feedback request thread about this topic I have merged your post into that one. Don’t forget to upvote

Oh thanks that is clear now.

This thread has been going on for multiple years and it’s still not a feature in 2023. This is an easy upgrade that would help a lot of people. My vote is to get this moved up in priority!!!

Thank you!

2 Likes

In task view you can view the colour code of a project, but you can’t see the name of that project. We’re not a big company but when you have dozens of projects at once it would be good to see what particular project a task relates to, without having to click on it.

1 Like

I’m with other people - this has been an issue for a while in Asana and is really frustrating that you haven’t made it a priority feature request. Please please please do this ASAP

1 Like

Tag names too please. Rollovers are okay but not ideal.
And can you implement on iOS at the same time for consistency.
Thanks

1 Like

Frustrating that you can see the Primary project in the list view but not in the Board view.
I have no use for a Kanban per project as many others have voiced, this seems like a UI tweak as the coloured bar is shown per task.

Lets hope its not another 2.5 years of discussion to get this sorted!

We are currently working on at least a dozen projects at a time all with the same tasks involved. This feature would make is so that we can use the full functionality of Asana instead of having each of our protects entered as tasks and each task for said project as a subtask. It’s really frustrating that this isn’t a thing.

1 Like