Sections in Timeline view

I see from the guide to Timelines that Sections are being slowly rolled out to Premium customers. How do we find out when this roll-out will complete?

I appear not to have this functionality yet, unless I’m missing something, but would find it really useful in a variety of use cases. Could somebody share a screenshot of creating/enabling sections in the Timeline view, as I can’t find one (only of Sections having been created)? Are they copied across from columns in the Board view if they are enabled in Timeline?

1 Like

@Andrew_Taylor - here’s an example!

It is copying the sections directly from List View - I don’t have a board project set up with sections and dates, so unfortunately can’t claim it translates from Board Columns.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_Taylor and welcome to the Asana Forum!

We’re slowly rolling this feature out to ensure a smooth transition. Unfortunately there is no easy way to check when this feature will be available for your account, but sit tight, it shouldn’t take too long :slight_smile: Note that this feature is currently only available for List projects, but hopefully this is something we can extend to Board projects in the future!

2 Likes

I love the Sections in the Timeline! It makes it a lot easier to see what’s going on, especially when you have a large project.

Having a weird thing with it though, yesterday, I had access to Sections. However, I just checked my project today and the sections are gone from Timeline.

Did the deployment get rolled back?

Thanks!

Yes @Don_Squires but they will be back very soon; we just need to make a few adjustments!

1 Like

Awesome, looking forward to seeing them again! Thanks!

1 Like

Great addition! Like “swim lanes,” as requested from folks here.

I noticed the Guide article mentioned that Sections were also optional and could be turned off, but I can’t see how to do this other than changing the sort from None to By Due Date or By Start Date (another nice feature). So can/will be possible to not group by sections in a None sort if that’s desired for some use cases?

Thanks!

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi

Thanks for your feedback @lpb; also I love the “swim lanes” analogy!

And yes, correct; as it stands, Sections will automatically show up in your Timeline; the only way to work without them is to sort your project by due date/start date I’m afraid!

1 Like

Hi! Can we please make this accessible on boards also? I feel like there’s so many limitations with each new feature that’s getting rolled out. And while I realize this is completely separate, the ability to switch from lists to boards without having to redo an entire project would be amazing!

2 Likes

Hi @kbuchanio and thanks for the feedback, this is definitely something we’re hoping to bring to Board in the future, so stay tuned!

Yes, Can’t wait for this!

1 Like

Our main project is set up using the board view, but the columns do not correspond to the sections that we would like to use.

E.g. columns are: Testing, Deployed etc.
Sections would be: Development, Marketing etc.

Can we expect the option to setup custom sections independently on the list / board arrangement? If yes, can you give a hint when this is going to be available?

Kind regards,
Steve

1 Like

Btw, the Sections in the Timeline do not appear well if the text is too long. Is there a trick so the section name can go into multiple lines? Often I use section for our Initiatives name…so it could looks like “Improve conversion rate on Product pages”. Only "“Improve conversion rate on…” could appear…that looks bad. Thanks for your help.