Section Sums and Project Sums

Hi all!

When using $ custom fields in a Project, Asana kindly summarize the costs per section.
Asana is even summarizing the cost of subtasks which is great.

However I cannot find where to get a total cost or sum of all sections within a project. Can someone help me where to find this or is this a feature request that I did not find or only available to Business and above ?

Edit: I found that if you select multiple tasks, asana sums the totals for you, is there a shortcut key to select all tasks ?
PS: having all tasks selected always makes me nervous :grimacing:

Edit 2: if you select more than 50 tasks, the friendly summary disapears, back to square 0.

Many thanks !
Jonathan

Hi @Jonathan_Stern,

Unfortunately this is the only work around I can think about.

And this is a product limitation we’re currently enforcing to avoid performance issues - although something we will possibly push back in the future.

Moving this thread to our #productfeedback for our team to consider a solution for this issue in a future update!

1 Like

Thank you @Marie

1 Like

+1

I tried to look for an existing topic to upvote on this, feel free to merge if there is an already existing similar feedback response.

What I would be interested in is being able to see the total sum for all sections in a project. Currently I can see the sum for individual sections, and I have to add each section to determine the whole total. The use case for this is for our budget tracking project. We would like to see the total for all sections in budgeted vs. actual.

2 Likes

Hi @Brittany_Dean @anon93030819 just wanted to let you know that the Analytics & Reports add-on by Screenful can produce summary lists for each section and total within a project or even across multiple projects. Here’s an example chart:

You can do calculations by any of your numeric fields. In addition to sums you can also see other metrics such as averages or medians. You can learn more about this chart at our online guide or give it a try with your own data by signing up for a free trial.

Has this been implemented since somehow? I can’t believe you can’t get estimated vs actual spend per project :thinking:

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

Until/if Asana offers a sum in list view over all sections, you can use a number chart in the Dashboard tab to sum any custom field. It looks like this:

Larry