Rule Triggers across Multiple Projects by Field Changes

Hi,
Looking for some help on rule triggers across multiple projects.

This is the case details:

1. Tasks shared across multiple projects (Let’s call this Project 1 and Project 2)
  2. Applied same Custom Field via organizational Library. They share the same Field details.

Flow:

1. Field in Project 1 get’s updated (Eg. Status >> Director Approved). This field change is automatically reflected in Project 2 (Task shared in both projects)
  2. Task in Project 2 moves to another Section (eg. Moved to Director Approved Section)

Reality:
In Project 2, the trigger does not work when the field has been changed in Project 1. It works as intended if the Field is changed directly in Project 2. Will there be opportunity for cross-project triggers? (ie. Field in Project 1 changes > Field change automatically reflected in Project 2 > triggers rule in Project 2 by Field Change trigger)

Best regards,
MH

It does not work because a rule applies to a project and can’t change the value of the field in another project. It would if you added the field in both projects. Would that be acceptable?

Whoops. My apologies. I retested and it works as you have mentioned.

The reason it did not work for me previously was because I had another layer of complexity. The field change was based on rule trigger (not automated). When the field was updated this way, the trigger did not work in Project 2.

This is the actual flow:

1. Field updated by another rule (eg. Task moved to another section > Field updated)
  2. Field is automatically updated in both projects
  3. Field change triggered in Project 2

I guess the work around that I can have is to just manually update the field instead of it being changed by a rule.

Some reference material below:

1. Project 1 Rule (Move Section > Field update)
1 Like

**New users can only post on media file. sorry for multiple posts
2. Rule in Project 2

1 Like
  1. Field is changed in Project 2, but does not trigger the move

Do you know that rules can’t trigger rules, and that is actually expected behavior? (for now)

2 Likes

Thanks Bastien for the support! Learnt something new today. Looking forward for more in depth ‘rule’ features (chain rules!). I just realised that if rules triggered rules, it is possible to create infinity loops if there is no limit, which intrigues me on a technical perspective. :smiley:

Thanks again,
Cheers,
MH

1 Like

Exactly why it is not possible indeed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like