Return the ability to add description to sections

Oh my god, i need that desperately. Not people in our team start creating tasks that are no tasks but just placeholders for the descriptions we used to have in the section. Creates chaos.

1 Like

When in the list view, we might have set many sections. It would be great if we can add a description so that other teammates know what to do in each section. Please bring this feature back.

Because usually after a long time you didnā€™t work on a project, then you forget why you created that section. And it takes time to think and recall. I hope Asana will bring this function soon.

2 Likes

I would like Sections to have a description perhaps off the Describe Section; Rename Section; Delete Section menu. Iā€™m using Section Headers to describe Objectives. The Objective itself has to be summarized to be a Section and the first ā€œtaskā€ has to become the entire objective with project links and attachments as the Objective description. The subtasks become my Positive Outcomes. The projects associated with and supporting the Objectives/tasks and Outcomes/subtasks.
I agree that the current situation is inelegant and doesnā€™t make sense to my linear thinkers besides being somewhat confusing to those whom Iā€™m trying to get to jump on the Asana busā€¦not all are ā€œridersā€ at the moment.

1 Like

I know you probably donā€™t want to hear about workarounds, but for some people that might save them for a while: šŸ”„ Hottest feature requests and their workarounds

Can you help me improve the list please?

Can Asana add the ā€œassignee, due date, project, descriptionā€ bar to the Section titles? I find I want to leave notes over things relating to that section but I donā€™t have an area to put them unless I create a dummy task.

This does not exist anymore. There is an existing thread on the topic. Have a look at F5 on šŸ”„ Hottest feature requests and their workarounds for the link and workarounds.

Hi @amanda_hunt, thanks for your feedback! We already have a thread on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with Return the ability to add description to sections - #6 by Alex_Lake to centralize feedback.

I wasnā€™t able to find a response to this, but I really want to know why, right panes, descriptions and completion check marks were removed from sections. Iā€™m not a premium member, nor can I afford to be, so if you moved it to there I would much appreciated if it was brought back. It helped Asana make sense and now I am struggling to get things in the right place. Please restore these features!

ā€¦I also forgot to mention, the underline under a section was also very helpful visually, could you please bring that back as well?

Hi,

There is an existing thread on the topic, @Marie or @Emily_Roman will be able to help!

You should create a dedicated thread.

1 Like

I found it ā†’ Return the ability to add description to sections

I typed ā€œsection descriptionā€ in the search :grimacing:

1 Like

I understand we have attributes at task-level (e.g. Due Date, Assignee, etc or custom attributes) . We need to be able to set these attributes at section-level as well. So, if a department is a section, then the assignee of that section would be the department head. Similarly, we need the ability to set the values of custom attributes not only at task level, but also at section level. Is this possible ? Any workaround?

Sections were tasks a few years ago. Now they are just ways to group tasks together, and we lost the ability to attach information to them. The only workaround is to create a first task at the top of each section to serve as a header.

Hi @M_Abbas, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

A details pane for each section where documents related to the section, a description, etc. could be added would be sooooo helpful.

I think it would be hard to get this info into a place in the UI that is not obstrusive for everyday use (i.e. once someone learns the ropes and what each section is for).

A potential workaround could be using the Overview section of a project, and creating Milestones (near the bottom, unless youā€™re using them for other purposes), which are essentially pinned tasks that can include a description or attached files like any other task would.

Hello @Missy_Weldy,
I went ahead and merged your request into an existing one. Donā€˜t forget upvoting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

I would love to have the option to be able to write notes or comments in a section within a project.

Is there a way to do that that I may have overlooked?

I know you can comment on Tasks but I would love to see that feature added to the Sections.

Thanks!

@Cognitive2679 welcome to the forum!There is no way to add a description to a section itself, but people might be more helpful if we can understand the use case behind what youā€™re trying to do, by considering a workaround or other suggestions.

Thanks!

So, there are certain sections that we need to elaborate more on the tasks for future use. For example, a Section called ā€œTradingā€ has many tasks in it. For some of those tasks, we can change the name of it in the future to top 8 instead of top 10.

This is something we would like to note for the tasks in a Section instead of each individual task, which can become pretty tedious and messy in my opinion.

I would love to see the option to add a note/comment on a section.