Repeat x days after completion

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Repeat x days after completion doesn’t work as expected in calendar.

Steps to reproduce:
1: Create a task and assign it to yourself.
2: Set a due date.
3: Set repeat as periodically.
4: Set days to 7.
5: Complete the task and it works
6: Complete task again and it will not jump 7 days ahead.

Browser version:
Chrome 81 on macOS (Catalina)

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Axel_Findson and thank you for taking time to report this issue.

I have tested this on my end and I got the same behaviour you have reported so I’m filing a task for the Team and I’ll keep you posted as soon as I get an update.

Thank you for your help Axel! Have a nice Friday!

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Axel_Findson!

I was doing some more tests before escalating this issue further and I realized this is not a Bug rather the current expected behaviour.

Let me explain you why.

As our Guide article describes, when scheduling a task to repeat periodically, you set it to repeat X days after completion. This means that the due date for the next recurring task will depend on the day you complete the previous one.

For your particular case, I would recommend you to set the task to repeat weekly choosing the day of the week you prefer it to be due (e.g. Friday). This way the task will be duplicated for the following Friday no matter the day you have marked it as completed.

I hope this helps Axel but please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

Are you sure? I do not interpret the Guide Article like so. And it would be very strange if that is how it should work?

Please escalate this issue further to be 100% sure because I still believe it’s a bug.

Yes, right now we repeat tasks weekly as you say, but when we want to change the day of the week of a task, we have to edit it instead of just moving it in the calendar which is time consuming.

Thanks!

Hello,

What is the status here?

Thanks!

Hi @Axel_Findson and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have verified this internally with the Community Team and can confirm that this is the current expected behaviour. As explained in the Guide article, when setting a task to repeat periodically the next task will be created to repeat X days after you have completed the current task (in your case, 7 days after completing the current task).

I hope this helps clarifying Axel but please let me know if you if you have any follow-up question! Have a nice day!

Have you even tried to replicate the issue? Or doesn’t it happen for you?

It is not stated in the Guide Article that it will repeat x days from the original task, it is stated that it will repeat x days from when the task was last completed, so it should repeat x days ahead from the last completion date every time. Right now it will get stuck and repeat x days ahead from the original task.

Please see screenshot of the result if I complete a task 4 times set to repeat 7 days ahead: Screenshot - 234e29bf0674d43a1bc0c2ec22964e92 - Gyazo

Please let me know if you can replicate this behaviour on your end.

Thanks!

Axel,

Can you please clarify what you mean in step 6 in your “Steps to reproduce”?

When do you complete the task again? If you completed the task 4 times on May 13 (as in your screenshot), each time you completed it a new duplicate with a due date 7 days from that day would be created. What determines the new due date is not the old due date, it’s rather the day of completion. Does that clear things up?

@Aviad_Sheinfeld,

I will be even more specific.

Steps to reproduce:
1: Create a task and assign it to yourself.
2: Set a due date.
3: Set repeat as periodically.
4: Set days to 7.
5: Complete the task and it will create a new one 7 days ahead. ← expected
6: Complete the new one and it will create a new one 0 days ahead. ← not expected
7: Complete the new one and it will create a new one 0 days ahead. ← not expected
8: Complete the new one and it will create a new one 0 days ahead. ← not expected

Thanks!

Thanks for your response, @Axel_Findson.

I tried this just now (5/31). At step 5, the new task is created with a 6/7 due date.
At step 6 (and 7 and 8) the new task is created with a 6/7 due date. This is 7 days from now. That is, 7 days from when the task is completed. This is what I expect. Is this not what you’re seeing?

-Aviad

1 Like