Reorder tasks in calendar

I’d also really like to have the ability to organise the order of how tasks are visible in the calendar. I know you can do it in my tasks, but where it would be most helpful would be in projects. We have a sprint planning board that we use to keep track of all of the tasks in our backlog that are ready to come into a sprint, and are ones that will be going into a sprint within the next couple of sprints. We have a section on there to keep track of the launches so we can make sure work to support those are prioritised correctly. We wanted to use the milestone feature to help it stand out, but that lack of being able to apply date ranges means we can’t do that. So we are needing to be able to have it so that the launch is always the first item visible on a given day.

another up-vote for having this feature in month view please!

The Calendar View in Asana is outstanding for me as the Chief Retail Officer of a Franchise Business group. I am able to schedule my work out and plan my days across multiple active projects.

That being said, there is a simple function missing from this view and that is the ability to organize tasks per day in order of priority. As I work on tasks in multiple projects, I need the easy ability to organize my day in calendar view so that I can stay on point and work through my list in a specific order.

The only work around for this right now is to set a Due Time for each task which is a little cumbersome compared to just drop and dragging them in order of priority.

1 Like

Hello @Adam_McWilliams,

I have merged your post into an existing feedback request thread. Don’t forgot to upvote at the very top.
Workarounds are mentioned here.

I see that I can sort them if I use the Week View! I did not realize that as I always work out of Month view so that I can easily move things around. I can just toggle between the 2 views for now. Thank you!

I see you have capability to reorder your own tasks in My Tasks calendar view, but it would be nice to have this same functionality in the project calendar views. We use Asana projects to track our production schedule but we cannot sort or re-order tasks in the calendar view at all.

I’m in the trial right now and immediately realized there was no way to order project tasks in the calendar by dragging, which is super inefficient. Also, why make the trial a one seat but not offer a one seat subscription?

Asana- also really hoping for the ability to rearrange a calendar within a project. With sometimes up to 8 tasks on any given day, it’s frustrating to not be able to see them all at once/reorder them so the team knows how to prioritize, not just me within my own tasks. Please consider adding this function- it would be a game changer.

In the calendar view, the only way to reorder the “stack” of daily tasks on a given day is to assign times to the due dates. My tasks don’t rarely have due date times and I would love to be able to simply drag and drop the task to the top/bottom/middle of the stack based on my priorities and daily structure.

Very rarely, I do have a task that has an actual time that it’s due, so I want to be able to reserve using the time due date for these tasks and not muddy it up by assigning times to tasks that don’t need them and getting confused keeping track of which tasks’ due date times are real and which are for organizational purposes.

Hi @Brenda_Carey , I’m assuming you are referring to the Calendar view of My tasks and not a Calendar view of a project. If so, have you tried using the ‘Week view’ in My tasks? It’s a 7-day view, but the nice thing about it is that you can freely resort the order of tasks up/down within a day!

…and you also get the option to toggle multi-day tasks on or off :wink:

1 Like

I’m finding the separation between multi-day and day-specific tasks frustrating for a similar reason: I can’t plan my day if the repeat work is abstracted to the top of the screen, while the milestone/day-specific stuff is hived off below.

That’s great but then the new order doesn’t pull through to the monthly view.

Hi @Robert_Tomlinson , welcome to the forum :wave:

That’s correct. ‘My tasks’ is a personalised space and one user’s personal sorting of their tasks in their Calendar view will not reflect in the project’s Calendar view which could be shared with multiple users each having their own sorting preferences, so I don’t see how that could ever be achieved.

Apart from that, currently, only the Week view in My tasks allows for resorting tasks within a day, using drag & drop, whereas the Month view in My tasks does not, which also applies to the project’s Calendar Month view.

The only way to achieve ‘sorting within a day’ in a Calendar’s Month view is to actually populate the ‘due time’ by clicking on the clock icon in the lower left, when setting the ‘Due date’ field, as per below.

I’m writing this on November 2023 :sweat_smile: and I’m also wondering if this reordering feature is now available in Calendar view or not yet?