Reinstate tags in the search bar

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Tags are no longer searchable from the search bar.

Steps to reproduce:
Search for a tag from the search bar, and the tag does not appear in the dropdown list.
It can still be found through Advanced Search → Add filter → Tags → Has Tags.

Browser version:
Google Chrome Version 98.0.4758.109

Upload screenshots below:

2 Likes

Hi @Brandon_Jeffers, thanks for reaching out!

I can confirm that this is a new, expected behaviour. We’re working on revamping the basic search to help users find what they need faster. With that in mind, our Product team has decided to remove tags suggestions to free up some valuable space for future updates. Our data shows that this feature is used by a very small portion of our users.

I do apologise for any inconvenience this causes, Brandon!

1 Like

Thank you, @Rebecca_McGrath.

Can you clarify whether tags are being removed entirely or simply the ability to find them from the search bar?

Previously I could type a few letters and immediately find the tag I was looking for along with every task and project marked with that tag. Now four extra mouse clicks have been added to that search process which is definitely not faster, so I’m probably missing something. Can you recommend a better way to search or point me to a resource that outlines the new search capabilities?

4 Likes

What on earth was your team thinking doing that?

It’s literally fundamental to how we manage our jobs through Asana. If this isn’t reverted we will likely be going elsewhere.

10 Likes

Thanks for this feedback, @Brandon_Jeffers @Andrew_Price. I’ve gone ahead and passed this onto our Product team.

Brandon, at this time, just the ability to find them from the search bar has been removed.

Hello,

Is anyone else having an issue with tags no longer populating in the search bar when searching for them? I had no issues yesterday, but today, the tags no longer appear unless I search for them through advance search.

1 Like

Apparently Asana removed them from the search functionality because few people used them and they wanted to free up space for future improvements they’re making to search.

I’m always in awe of their team’s way of thinking. Instead of a bit of ingenuity to find a way to balance things, they just deprecate features. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi @anon55437979, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I can confirm that this is a new, expected behaviour. We’re working on revamping the basic search to help users find what they need faster. With that in mind, our Product team has decided to remove tags suggestions to free up some valuable space for future updates. Our data shows that this feature is used by a very small portion of our users.

That said, I’ve gone ahead and passed this feedback onto our Product team.

This is a SIGNIFICANT issue for us and might drive us away form asana if we can not find a workaround. The majority of my engineers DON@T HAVE ADVNAVED search as they use their phone to call up tags and access information.
If we can’t use tags on mobile devices to call up information we are stumped.

Currently we have a queue of people lined up at a workshop desktop to ‘lookup’ information - assign a task to themselves and then update that task - this is REDICULOUS!!

Something as SIGNIFICANT as this change really should be communicated well in advance of Roll out!

5 Likes

Why do you always remove features that people use? Do you understand how frustrating that is? I search tags all day and the extra steps I now have to take to find tags are annoying. Please revert back to tags populating in the search bar so our workflow can be much easier…Like how it was before!

2 Likes

Then you should give us back the ability to search tags. That made it quick and easy to find what we need in far less time than using advanced search.

4 Likes

:-1: Highly used feature as part of our routine workflow. Removal of tags from search will significantly impact the efficiency of why we use the platform, and we’re already considering moving to another service.

What is the point of tags if they’re not searchable data?

2 Likes

Tags are a critical piece of our workflow. We use tags to group related tasks, and tags are constantly searched for / referenced. Losing this functionality is very painful.

What is Asana’s vision for Tags in the future?
Is something better/different coming to replace Tags?
Is there a workaround that we can use?

1 Like

Please stress that instead of being a tool that helps with workflow, having these extra steps makes it very difficult to get our work done. One of the primary reasons my team moved to Asana was because of tag organization and searching for tags is crucial. My search bar results shortened, but didn’t clean anything up. Hopefully it is a quick switch that can be turned since this just went into effect.

1 Like

Asana, why is it we can sort by tags in the community forum but this basic type of sort isn’t available in your flagship paid business product?

This makes ZERO sense.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Ma, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Thanks for providing this feedback. We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates.

Thank you all for the feedback and questions. I’ve gone ahead and passed this onto our Product team and will get back to you all with an update as soon as I receive word back :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ability to search tags from the search bar and the apps on our phones is fundamental to how we use asana. Without it asana simply does not work for us anymore. Is there a chance this will be reimplemented soon?

1 Like

Please add this ability back. This was a huge need for my growing team that spans across a lot of different departments, sales, campaign management, production, etc. This search feature is a necessity for us. Please consider the community you are effecting by changing this.

2 Likes

Adding my voice here, using tags to search is a vital function of our work. I clearly understand where to find it if I have to in the advanced search, but that is a really poor user experience. I’m fully in support of bringing back the previous user experience of having it easily found in basic search.

1 Like