Reference numbers for tasks

It’s been three and a half years since you posted this. I don’t know if it’s still possible to receive instructions on your auto numbering system, but I have been looking for a solution like yours.

Hi @Michael_P_M_McLaughl,

I actually posted the instructions farther down in this thread, here:

It’s such a huge thread, totally understandable that you would have missed seeing it.

However, I should add that since I wrote this up, there is a wayyy easier way to accomplish this, albeit using our integration so I’m a little biased: Flowsana lets you create unique task IDs without having to do it yourself. For more details, see: Creating Unique Task Short IDs and Short Links

1 Like

Mr. Seeman, thank you so much sir. Embarrassed that I didn’t keep scrolling and see where you posted the instructions. Will also take a look at the alternate solution you provided. Many thanks!

1 Like

this only seems to work if the tasks are public. do you have a solution if the tasks are private?

I have read this entire thread and Erik is a hero. He identified this issue over three years ago and has stayed on it this entire time. I cannot believe that this integration has not been added. It’s honestly shocking and would be the biggest complaint I have about Asana. Anyway Erik thank you for trying!

1 Like

Thanks Michael,

4+ years and still going. Kinda silly actually, that they (Asana), have never even answered this thread as to why they will not even contemplate the suggestion. Must be a lot of dust being swept under that rug at corporate. From what I have seen, they spend more time sending out sales emails to all my co-workers listed trying them to buy Asana even though we already have it. If they can’t even track their own sales funnel, how can I expect them to give us the ability to track a simple task.

4 Likes

Hello @Erik_Graham
I hear your frustration and would like to refer to a comment I posted on another thread.

2 Likes

@Erik_Graham you’re a hero.

Adding my voice to this. Not having alphanumeric reference number for tasks is going to impact my future use of Asana.

2 Likes

Adding my vote. We can’t access Zapier or Flowsana on our network and just need this out of the box. It is disappointing that it’s been years, and this is still an issue.

2 Likes

Testing switching from Wrike and came across this issue, and I’m a bit surprised Asana doesn’t have this capability. We use task IDs to catalogue our work on our network drive and losing this functionality would make it much harder to find folders. I’ll need an out of the box solution to this or switching will be a hard sell.

1 Like

Hi Austin, after many years we are looking at other platforms as they will not add this simple feature that they already have, just not in the right place. We have had talks with Monday.com as they have full task numbering and custom numbering also. One interesting aspect for you Zapier lovers out there, is that they have an internal automation system like zapier, so you can make automations within their system easily. Haven’t pull the switch yet, put they seem to have their, “shite” together. Asana’s non response to this thread is just getting boring.

2 Likes

I’ve been testing Asana as a potential product to role out across our company. Quite simply, I love it. But this lack of the ability to add a simple auto-populated reference to a ticket is the sole reason we’re having to consider other providers. I simply cannot believe it would be particularly onerous to develop an additional field with an auto-number function. It’s a great shame because I’ve enjoyed using Asana right from the start, but this reason - along with the fact that Asana seems to be VERY slow to react to such requests - has left a sour taste.

3 Likes

Thank you for the intel @Erik_Graham. I think we’re going to have to look elsewhere also and Monday.com seems to fit the bill.

1 Like

Greetings.

I’ve posted in a separate post our solution (I agree, this simple sequential number feature should be integrated within Asana, long way ago), that starts with JotForm integrated along with Asana using Zapier. I’ve built this solution into few friends/ clients that range from law to food delivery. We have a marketing agency and as such, our tickets refers to the service rendered. What I love about this "extended-more-costly-solution’, has the capability to create redundancy in my tickets (should something goes wrong), and create reports with the ULTRA flexibility JotForm offer us. Zapier is also another important part of this. Both paid versions do not exceed $500.00 annually (yes, now we know we have to be careful on subscriptions), but this help us keep it lean, redundant and efficient; it works wonderful for us. I can provide you some insight if interested into a video call and show you how we do it, E mail me: radames@iFullCircle.com. Let me know about Monday (I explore it in the past as well, but Asana still provides us a simple direct solution for our needs). Best regards.

Many people here have voiced their annoyances that this is not a feature in Asana, and I still fully agree. But, don’t forget that there are multiple integrations that solve this issue.

I am the developer of one of them, and recently we introduced a bit more magic. We offer a solution that adds this feature without you having to do anything else other then invite the user auto-number@asana.astogi.com to your project. After you invite the user, it will automatically start tracking new tasks and assign unique IDs to it.

Pretty much no configuration and it just works out of the box, I hope this adds a lot of new possibilities for other users!

For more configuration, feedback or anything else, feel free to contact me here or the team via the website!

1 Like

I agree and empathize. As one of the users that have asked about this in 2017, it is really disappointing. To the best of my knowledge, Asana has never even acknowledged this request. Again, disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, Asana is a fabulous platform and I have not regretted moving our entire company to Asana back in 2017. I just don’t understand why Asana has chosen to completely ignore their users on this topic? Especially since this is a common feature in project/task management software and a very reasonable ask. I just don’t get it.

1 Like

Hey everyone.
For anyone still looking for something I made this free app to use for asana simple task IDs!
It sets an id for every new task e.g. “make coffee” → “#012 make coffee”.
You can select projects for which the task numbering should be activated. The number will be unique for each project.

I even made a little tutorial on how to start with it.

(The source code is open source GitHub - marfrede/asana-number-nerd)

Kind regards
Marvin Frede

3 Likes

Thanks for the work Marvin!

1 Like