Recurring tasks not displayed in Asana Workload

Hi there,
we would like to manage our tasks with Asana workload. But as I’m creating a recurrig task inside a project (for example a task that is due every Friday), it only shows up once in the workload timeline and not on every Friday as it’s supposed to…

Does anyone have a solution on this?

Best regards,
Robin

3 Likes

This is a known issue, pretty sure there is an existing thread. @Marie or another moderator will be able to help you!

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @anon83525682 and thank you for reaching out.

When you set a task to repeat, it only appears in Calendar, Timeline and Workload for the next time that is due and not every single time the task is due in the future. Once you mark a recurring task completed, it will generate itself for the next time the recurring task is set to be due. You can learn more about it in the following Guide article: How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

There is a thread in the #productfeedback category regarding this topic: Visibility of all Recurring tasks - #69 by Jason_Woods. If you haven’t yet, I would suggest you to upvote it.

I would also recommend you to have a look at Kaitie’s workaround. You might find it useful.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

Okay, so basically there is no solution to this, right? I voted for changing this feature, sure. But I just don’t see the point for displaying recurring tasks only in the next week and not also all the weeks after. By this, the outlook is kind of distorted and Workloads/Timeline becomes less useful as a planning tool.

10 Likes

I completely understand where you are coming from @anon83525682 and unfortunately I don’t have more information to share on this topic at the moment. But rest ensure that as soon as I get an update I’ll let you know in this thread.

Just started using Asana and am quickly realizing that this may not be the right tool. Lacking the ability to show future recurring tasks on the calendar and workload is a HUGE inconvenience. I can’t plan my team’s workload appropriately without considering how these recurring tasks would impact ad hoc work capacity. This defeats the purpose of using asana for workload planning. the suggested workaround of adding a separate task for every report defeats the purpose of having recurring tasks. Please fix.

This feature has been ‘in review’ since at least 2017 by looking at other message boards.

16 Likes

This is so frustrating, that I have to post it again ibn this thread:

You mention “ressource planning” as one of Asanas features, but it is not possible to plan and account for recurring future tasks? That’s ludicrous an makes Asana really inconvenient to use for the management of a team at all.

Since you don’t seem to care for your customers demands (they’ve only requested this for the past 4 years lol) maybe it helps to know, that monday.com sucks even more at this than Asana. So, if you want to take in some of THEIR unhappy customers, just introduce this basic feature.

7 Likes

It seems completely insane that Asana won’t fix the recurring tasks to show all of them at once. It makes this software incredibly not useful. Being able to see future recurring tasks is essential for a lot of teams working on projects together that have a recurring schedule. It’s nice to be able to see them all at once to help plan and organize current and future workflow.

Asana, I HIGHLY urge you to modify your calendar features to show ALL recurring tasks. Hearing all the previous comments regarding the this significant issue must push you to make this change.

5 Likes

It can make sense in some cases, I have seen people that have a dozen daily recurring tasks and they don’t want to see 12 tasks each day on their calendar…

The side benefit of the current situation is that any change made to the current task will be used for the next tasks. If you create all tasks in advance, they are all “un-synced”

That being said, a product feedback thread is the best location to share feedback!

1 Like

Hi,

I agree, this missing feature is a complete no sens.
Management include de possibility to show or not or partially recurring task … particularly when those tasks are bringing money or cost some…
You never know how a user uses a soft it always goes beyond the “creator’s mind” … this is why openness is critical in this field (though is is a basic feature even google have and manage somehow correctly)

Regards,
C.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.