Push Notifications at 'Due Time'

+1 from me

I’ve contacted Support about this 2-3 times. I’d like to use this Due Date/Time similar to a Reminder of this task, but it doesn’t work that way.

They also said:

“… the system will not send you push notifications while you are logged into the app on a computer. Please log out of Asana from your computer for at least 20 minutes to see if you then start receiving notifications on your mobile device.”

There is no feasible way for me to log out of Asana on all devices or browsers in order for general notifications to show up. That makes the multi-platform experience less than ideal.

I hope this is improved soon!

17 Likes

Another vote for this! Considering moving over from Trello to see the overall tasks foe my day but without push notifications for due date it’s almost pointless! PLEASE add this feature

11 Likes

Please add this feature - really need it - will switch to an other app if its not added in the next weeks.

7 Likes

I even briefly considered using Wunderlist to notify me of the tasks due in Asana before it occurred to me to just delete Asana. What astonishes me most … besides a project management to do app that doesn’t actually include timely notifications … is that without notifications it’s entirely possible to create workspaces that are hidden off in the top menu (since you can’t put them on the visible sidebar) where you can have all kinds of tasks going off and past due items with absolutely no awareness of them at all. You have to manually remember to go check your workspaces to find out what’s due or set a reminder in Wunderlist to go check your Asana workspaces for tasks that are due. And Asana has no capability of gathering all of your due tasks from all of your various projects and teams and workspaces and organizations and present them on a single daily agenda? Am I missing something here? Are people really paying for this?

12 Likes

I already hearted the original suggestion here, but feel it appropriate to reply as well - just to emphasize how important this feature is. It’s hard for me to think of a feature I could imagine prioritizing above this one right now. It’s a suprising limitation to an otherwise clean and robust platform.

10 Likes

notification not working android app. please help

3 Likes

@ravi_bhagat I’m the Community Manager it’s nice to meet you! Could you please elaborate on the problem you’re experiencing? Have you taken any troubleshooting steps that have or haven’t worked for you? If you can share screenshots, that would be helpful.

I’m new to Asana, am also facing the same problem. Am not receiving any notification from a task which is given a due date. I checked the Android notification settings and it is not blocking.

3 Likes

Asana android app doesnt notify you for any reminder, inbox, follow-up, etc

3 Likes

Hello Alexis,

I, too, am having this problem. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S7, on Android 6.0.1, and had this problem pretty much right off the bat. My associate and I both installed Asana (I did both installations) and have been trying it out to see if we should implement it company-wide. Overall, we are very happy, but he is happier than me, since he gets notifications (reminders, updates, new assigned tasks), and I don’t. Asana is still incredibly useful, but it can be complicated to keep track of what is going on across projects/organizations. I’m open to any suggestions, since I’m liking the app so much and would like to be able to fully invest in it.

2 Likes

Hi @Gilberto_Peraza - thanks for checking in! I dug into this a little bit on our end and while we used to have a bug that involved too many notifications on Android, we haven’t seen reports of not enough. Before we report this - have you confirmed your notifications settings on your android device and in individual Asana projects and in your profile settings?

Indeed, I did check on all those three places and still nothing. I re-installed the app. I even created an account with password, since I was logging in through my gmail account directly and I thought maybe that could cause a problem since I have many email accounts linked to my phone. Any ideas how we could troubleshoot this?

3 Likes

Hi Gilberto - Looks like this could be a bug. I’ll let our product team know. @Terri_Burden may have a few suggestions for troubleshooting to add, too.

We’re so sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to have this resolved, soon!

1 Like

Thank you Alexis, hope so too! Can I do anything on my end that could speed up pinpointing the issue? I don’t know if I can send you guys a log or something, but if so, please let me know

1 Like

That would be great, @Gilberto_Peraza, thank you! Feel free to share any and all details here, unless of course they contain private information. If you’d like to share anything that could be sensitive, feel free to send me a private message or contact the support team at Asana Support - Help Center • Asana .

Hi folks! My colleague on the mobile team was kind enough to share some insights:

There’s some confusion about what Asana push notifications you should expect so I’ll do my best to clear things up so that hopefully you can have an easier time determining if you’re experiencing a technical vs. a product issue. It is super helpful for us if you can differentiate between the two because the work on our end to improve your experience is quite different.

By default all android devices should support receiving push notifications as long as you don’t opt out of them (either by disabling them via system settings or within the Asana android app’s notification settings). Your android os version should only matter for the formatting of the notifications, not which ones you receive.

However, that doesn’t mean that you’ll get a push notification for everything you might expect, so here a few things to keep in mind:

1) We try really hard to not show you notifications for things you’ve already seen

• That means that if you are currently using Asana on a computer, you won’t get any push notifications
  • When you look at Asana on a computer, we will clear any notifications that are currently being displayed

2) We only send push notifications for things that appear in your Asana inbox

• This is a necessary, but not sufficient condition. While the Asana inbox contains stories about tasks being added to a project, you will not receive push notifications for these.
  • The logic for receiving an Asana inbox story (and therefore a push notification) for tasks based on their due dates is quite complicated and may not be what you expect.
  • These stories are generated once per day, a little after midnight for tasks that are assigned to you and due today and are not already in the Today section of your My Tasks list. This means that:
    ---- If your task is already sorted in Today, you will never get an inbox story or push notification for it
    ---- If you set a task’s due date to Today, you won’t get a notification for it since we only create inbox stories and notifications for tasks being due at midnight.
    ---- The due time of the task isn’t used in determining whether or when to notify you (calling this out separately since it’s a common feature request and source of confusion)

The easiest way to test if push notifications are working on your device is to:

1)close any of your Asana tabs on any computers you might use
2)make sure you don’t have any active Asana app sessions on your mobile device
3)ask a colleague to assign you a new task
4)wait 5 minutes without using Asana.
→ After you take these four steps you should receive a push notification.

2 Likes

Alexis,

I don’t understand this clarification. Maybe I’m not using Asana correctly. I do know that as of the last version of Asana, I would receive push notifications on my Android M phone. They were awesome! Finally, I had my system in place.

1. Why would Asana disable push notifications if I’m using Asana on my computer? I don’t get notifications of duedate/time on my browser. (should I? How do I do that?) I have turned off the email notifications as I’m not a fan of email reminders. (Unlike some workers, I don’t live within my email system. I tend to spend more time with Asana in the background instead) Or what if I am away from my computer and accidentally leave Asana open? I don’t see why that would render the notifications moot? Does it count if the browser is closed or do I need to logout of the app and then close the browser?

2. I don’t understand the rationale behind push notifications only for things in your inbox. I’m a solo freelancer who uses Asana for project management. I rarely if ever have anything sent to my inbox, instead I work out of the My Tasks as it aggregates the tasks I have assigned myself in an ad-hoc GTD methodology. (Projects → Task lists → Assigned to me = next action w/ due date/time + notification being the dream scenario)

Maybe I’m not the person that you designed Asana for, but it sure seems like under the above situations, push notifications to an Android phone are impossible for me to trigger.
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Thanks for addressing the Android push notifications. I’m totally baffled why Wunderlist can manage it but something as robust as Asana can’t manage it. Part of the problem based on what you said may be that only a very small handful of tasks are actually ending up in the Inbox even though they are assigned and have due dates.

If notifications only show for Inbox items then an Inbox that excludes the majority of open tasks is not of much use. I haven’t been able to sort out what criteria Asana uses to determine what shows up in the Inbox. I’m currently not using the Inbox because it is so unreliable.

Maybe you could clarify why so few open and assigned tasks with deadlines actually get routed into the Inbox. It seems really strange that there is no way to get situational awareness of all open and assigned tasks from across all workspaces and organizations without having to manually go to each workspace to check the Tasks tab.

Thanks so much for clarifying about the Inbox. I love the Asana interface and I’m trying to adapt because there really isn’t anything as beautiful out there.

3 Likes