Project templates V2: what we gain, what we lose

Agree. Can it be that there is no way to copy a task into an existing template? What would be the point of templates if not to be able to receive tasks?

Yes a template V2 is not a “project” anymore, it is its own new entity and there is no feature to move a task from a project to a “template”. Maybe that will come!
@Allen_Nesbitt I believe the assumption is that you’ll be creating a template in isolation.

Has anyone experienced not having access to the new templates as a project owner? I created the project templates for my client and then assigned him as the project owner for two V2 templates. For some reason, when he clicks on the templates team that I’ve created, only one of the templates show under the “templates” section. Settings for both templates are the exact same. Does anyone know what this is about or can direct me somewhere to learn more about this?

I’m adding a few other items. Not sure if anyone has any solves for these?

• Is there a way we can have due dates be assigned before the project start date? For example, we always have tasks that are due 2 days before the project start date as pre-project tasks.

• We noticed if the start date is chosen for a project but if there is a change to the start date then the due dates do not automatically change once the project is already created. This would create more manual work for our team.

• Is there a way to integrate dependencies and the due date feature? That would be fabulous.

• Is there a way for a due date to drag and auto populate with the same date? Kinda similar to excel? It’s very manual to add the same due date in like 20+ tasks. Maybe have a button for a section that says “Populate same date for all tasks?”.

• With my team’s projects we have weekly meetings with the clients. It is not until after the project start that we decide with the client when are those those weekly meetings. That weekly meeting may not be the same day that we started the project. Now all the due dates are based on the project start date, let’s say Monday, but the weekly meetings are on Wednesdays. Now we have to update each task to add 2 days. Is there a way that this could be automatic? This would be a HUGE timesaver. Not sure if other people have similar issues.

@Patty_Orozco from my experience, you can’t define relative due dates before the start date or after the end date (negative numbers don’t work) and you can’t define a random task as the pivot.

Also dependent tasks don’t get pushed if a due date changes, unless you are in Timeline view with dependency conflict avoidance turned on. But you do get notified if you are assigned on a blocked task and the blockage due date changes.

Due dates and dependencies are already part of templates V1 and V2, feel free to use them.

I have added 26. No ability to find tasks in template through search
This breaks some users workflows! Advanced search for tasks inside project templates

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman,

Per that other thread we were just on, I think we need:

• No ability to create a project with no project start or due date
1 Like

Some good news: Saw that we can add Overview notes that will carry over to the new projects:

#11 on the list

1 Like

Thanks, 27 added and 11 strikethrough!

V2 is deleting everything we like and need Asana to do! Thank you for summarizing all the details for everyone. Sadly, it looks like it’s time for us to move on.

@Linda_Preston don’t leave, Asana said they would fix most of those :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll sit tight.

Thanks!

1 Like

@Marie I have heard one user saying their templates were migrated to V2, is the forced migration in progress?

I’d put 11 back on - we can add text to the “how we’ll collaborate” section, but any attached documents, project brief, etc. won’t carry over from the template to the new project!

1 Like

Good point, updated!

2 Likes

#17 is apparently fixed, thanks @Phil_Seeman

Rules that were created from a template are not triggering…

To be honest, this “v2” feels more like a v0.1 alpha. It’s a mess.

2 Likes

Team,

We need a way to make SURE that the Projects made from Templates do not override our personal notification setting. Our team has about 30 projects made from the same Template and I had to spend a significant amount of unprofitable time yesterday removing everyone from the notification settings, unchecking all those boxes.

We don’t even want the Project owner (the person who used the Template) to be getting notifications of things like “tasks added” and so forth, since there is a large pile of people who will be adding tasks to that project that aren’t germaine to the project owner.

1 Like

@Matt5 are you saying that if someone has “tasks added” unticked in their personal profile, the template overrides it?

I discovered some yesterday for sure. The only notification I had checked “yes” in my personal settings was Messages. Yesterday I went through a lot of projects that were created earlier this week and I had all three settings in those projects checked “yes” instead of only “messages”. I don’t know how many, and I didn’t recognize the situation for what it was, so I can’t really explain why.

I also need to try to figure out how the heirarchy works. I’m discovering that I have several Projects (unrelated to the Projects I mention above) which I created about two months ago that have me checked “yes” on all three options for some reason, despite my personal settings only having “messages” checked. Now, the rest of my Team is using these new Projects and I’m getting BLASTED with notifications of people adding tasks.

I really don’t know what the heirarchy is here. If I have my personal settings set such that only “messages” are checked, it seems like Asana should (by default) automatically synchronize that setting across ALL projects.

Admittedly, having the ability to override that personal setting might be nice. If perhaps I have a Project that I need to monitor extremely carefully, it would be nice for Asana to give me a warning saying “Checking this box will override your personal setting, do you wish continue”?

Having the ability to quickly find all the Projects where your notification settings are “not the same” as your personal notification settings would be helpful.

This may all sound like a bunch of whining, but our company has 17 users and we’ll be running hundreds of projects here soon with an additional 5-10 members. It’s going to cost our company a lot of money if we can’t get notifications reigned in. Or even worse, team members losing confidence in using the Asana inbox, assuming it’s just a bunch of junk notifications.