Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically

I am agreeing to a ton of the feedback below! It would be awesome to be able to save a template and then have the tasks realize they are on a template and not auto-assign.

I have gone ahead and created some templates that I wish to use on an ongoing basis.

I have gone through, created the templates. Put in due dates and who they should be assigned to.
But My staff are complaining that the Tasks from the Templates are turning up in their “My Tasks” queue.

This makes it very difficult for them to get an idea of what is actually outstanding as opposed to a template.

Is there a way to overcome this without having to remove the assignee from the template?

Hi @heath.friend and welcome to the forum!

This is a current function of the way Asana works, I’m afraid.

You can read about it and vote for a change here: Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically

And you can find some workarounds for it here - see item F4: 🔥 Hottest feature requests and their workarounds

2 Likes

COPIED AND PASTED FROM ABOVE USER HEATH WITH THE EXACT SAME FRUSTRATION;

I have gone ahead and created some templates that I wish to use on an ongoing basis.

I have gone through, created the templates. Put in due dates and who they should be assigned to.
But My staff are complaining that the Tasks from the Templates are turning up in their “My Tasks” queue.

This makes it very difficult for them to get an idea of what is actually outstanding as opposed to a template.

Is there a way to overcome this without having to remove the assignee from the template?

Yes, there are workarounds…see Phil’s post above. Every user feels the same as you…template tasks should not be actively assigned when a template is still waiting for a live project to be created. Asana just…disagrees.

1 Like

That could come from the fact that your template project is not named properly. Make sure you include the word template, or a specific emoji, in the template name.