Print Task: Print custom fields in the same order shown in task pane

Hi all. We use Asana as part of our mechanical spec sheet creation process. This involves a LOT of custom fields. Some of our print vendors like to print the jobs (tasks) assigned to them. Unfortunately, the custom fields seem to print in a different order for different tasks. They’re not in the order they’re listed on the task itself, or in the order that they were filled in. We’re stumped. Is there a way to specify that we want the custom fields to print in the order they’re listed in the task? Screenshots below:

@lpb does Asana2Go treat the custom fields order in a “good” way?

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

@Kit_Stevens,

I can confirm the behavior, but have no explanation.

Perhaps @Ainhoa_Rico or @Emily_Roman could weigh in? It seems this either should be a Report a Bug or Product Feedback, right?

Re @Bastien_Siebman, I actually already answered an Asana2Go question for Kit at Asana2Go: Copy, export, and print from Asana flexibly (Free for most users/companies) - #47 by lpb and I think we need Asana to explain the behavior here.

Thanks,

Larry

I think we should flag this to our product team :pray: @Vanessa_N @Ainhoa_Rico feel free to move to Product Feedback if our team confirms this is not a bug. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, sorry for the trouble. Definitely worth escalating. I’ve passed this on to our Developers and will let you know once I hear back. Thanks for flagging!

1 Like

Hi everyone, the Developers got back to me and explained that this is happening because the order printed depends on what project the task is opened, so the printed fields won’t always appear in the same order shown in the task pane. Although they are not able to share an ETA yet, they’ve added this case to their queue, and as soon as they have any updates on a fix they will inform me. I’ll keep you posted!

@Vanessa_N Is there any update on this? My company also has a strong need for custom fields to be always in the same order.

Custom fields should always appear in the order specified in the Custom fields list of the board. Currently, custom fields appear in a different order if they were created using a form. If a task was created manually in the project, it follows the correct custom fields order.

Hi @Polar, sorry for the inconvenience. To clarify, you are referring to the printing order as well, correct? Unfortunately, our developers don’t have an ETA to share for this request, but I’m tracking this request so as soon as there’s any update I’ll be notified so I can share the news here.

1 Like

@Vanessa_N Sorry for the confusion. My post is highlighting a slightly different bug that doesn’t have to do with the print screen function.

Currently, custom fields appear in a different order if they were created using a form. If a task was created manually in the project, it follows the correct custom fields order as specified in the Customize fields settings.

We are facing the same issue as presented by @Kit_Stevens

Hey Vanessa. Any status update on this print order issue?

Hi everyone, apologies for the delay! I was checking with our Developers if there was any update to share. They have informed me that this behavior is expected, although I understand it can be confusing. At the moment, we don’t do any type of sorting/filtering of fields before printing, meaning we print these fields in the order they’re received in the task pane print projection. They have added this feedback as an opportunity for improvement, but unfortunately they are not able to provide an ETA. I hope this information helps. If you don’t mind, I’ll move this thread from the Bugs section to the Product Feedback section in the Forum so you can all add your vote.