Possibility to search tasks when knowing the previous task name

Hello,

today I was reflecting on advanced search and have noticed that Asana does not return any values when, in the search box, I type the previous name of a task.

In an environment where we still use multiple tools for communication, we can experience a situation where we don’t have a URL to a task, but we recall partial (or full) name of the task.

Many times this will allow us to search for the action item inside Asana. The challenging part occurs when we search for a task, that’s name was edited.

Logically, we know that Asana timestamps such events, and the change of the name of a task is reflected in the task’s status log.

I would assume that, having such information logged, will allow me to search for it.

Unfortunately, this is not a case. Therefore, I would like to suggest such improvement in the search algorithms.

Having this functionality enabled would improve my comfort of work and would limit re-duplicating activities that were mentioned in different sources. I would find this useful in project/programme audits.

Best,
Antoni

Hi @Antoni_Zieba, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I often find myself in similar situations. While this feature isn’t available right now, hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you if we have any updates :slight_smile:

That is an extremely helpful observation, Antoni. I’ve had the sense often that certain tasks have become somehow unsearchable, and now I am learning one possible reason why.

FUNDAMENTAL rule for Asana developers: All user-created data should be searchable. Even edited user-created data should be searchable as to the previous version.

1 Like