Please build time tracking into Asana

We are just about to switch to Asana for all the PMs in the company, and majority of the teams ask for time tracking function.

1 Like

Hear, hear! The plugins are costly both in terms of extra time used to manage them and literal financial output. Please include a timer in an upcoming release!

Due to the nature of the business that I work in, we need to track the time that we spend on tasks for our clients. Though we have time tracking software, it only shows each user how much time they have spent on a task - this information is not easily viewable to others who may be working on the same project. For this reason, it would be nice if there were tracking available on the tasks/subtasks. Ideally, someone could mark how much time they spent on the subtask and this would auto-calculate on the main task.

Hi,
If your request is about having time tracking within Asana, then there is an existing thread on the topic and @Rebecca_McGrath will merge yours with it!

Hi @AJ_Silberman-Moffit, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

We have an existing thread in the #productfeedback category requesting Asana-native time tracking. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted on the main thread if I have any updates from the Product team!

1 Like

Any indication as to when built-in time tracking is coming? I honestly don’t understand how there can be so much effort put into features like Workload and Dashboards without prioritizing built-in time tracking. Time is one of the most valuable metrics for any business; answering how much time something took is critical and to operate efficiently and it can’t be done within Asana natively. Yes, I know there are integrations, Asana would be 10x more valuable if Actual time could be easily compared to Estimates in either Workload or Dashboards. Please tell me this is coming soon…

2 Likes

A very simple timer with start/stop button for each task would mean the world for me. Available to start/stop on mobile app. For administrative purposes it would be rally useful to have that option right next to each task, and i could see how long someone worked on it. Time is not only a costing item but project management item. I know asana has integration with Harvest etc. But they are all annoying for me and require you to pay extra.

Given the deep integration of Harvest, I guess that means Asana has no plan for such a feature before for some time. Your only chance is to find a developer and build the same service for free :wink:

1 Like

This is a great, must have future, I was just about to creat the same topic. Another one that you might find it useful too is estimated time for a task.

A start time would be useful for connecting to an outside calendar (ie. Google) then one can schedule the tasks in their week without having an extra step.

I also agree with others in how this would work well with a meeting.

1 Like

I would suggest a simple digital timer like TMetric - it will provide with the most precise calculations

Hello @Attila_Saghy,

I know, you’d prefer to have a native time tracker inside Asana, but I doubt it will appear any time soon.

Why? Because it’s not part of Asana’s core experience.

Asana (as many other best apps on the market) do one singular feature but, they do it really well. Their focus is project management, not time tracking.

A good time tracker is not just a start/stop button; it’s all about reports, estimates, invoicing, payroll and much, much more.

Adding all of this into Asana will highly complicate things on their end. The same applies to time trackers, they’ll never be able to replace a full-fledged project management tool; only complete it to create over powerful system.

If you are looking for the best time tracking experience inside Asana - check Everhour.

The integration looks like this:

I’ve been having some troubles with harvest integration. It doesn’t works on Desktop App and you gotta pay for it. I think that include this as a native function shouldn’t take too much for the developers and would make of Asana a greater app.

Hi @Roy_Escalante, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Click-ups just added it as native. Asana needs to consider. Either buyout Harvest or EverHour or build your own.

1 Like

This has probably come up a few times but reviving this again: please build native time-tracking into Asana. Other work management apps have already done this and are becoming a consideration for moving.

Coming from the events space, it’s getting extremely challenging to evaluate how much time is spent on activities in a holistic way. Having to use separate apps makes the view more disparate and less consistent.

If Asana bakes this into the product itself, it would be helpful for project managers and individual contributors to assess how much time is spent and could help in estimating time scales and be more realistic when it comes to deadlines.

2 Likes

Hello @ninaroper welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Here is an existing thread to upvote: Please build time tracking into Asana :slight_smile:

1 Like

I fully agree with your thoughts.
I’m investigating going from Monday to another tool, with the main aim to monitor time, and have an overview of projects. I thought this would be available in portfolios, but its not possible.

Im now looking to other tools like Teamwork and Clickup that seem to have time integrated as a core feature.
Their functionality is no where near as good as Asana, but time management is core to what I want to do. Come on Asana !

1 Like

Hi @Darren5, checkout Wrike, it has time tracking and much much more built in. It was our choice here and no regrets! :slight_smile:

We’ll be switching to Wrike soon. Asana has been ignoring this easy and obvious feature for 5+ years.

1 Like