Please build time tracking into Asana

Hi,

Asana does not communicate about their roadmap. So I suggest you create on thread per idea, and have people vote on it. And wait :slight_smile:

That being said, what are you calling a timer? Might be what they have in their vision video Unveiling the Future of Asana • Asana
Also what is a notes function?

Hi,
I saw the vision video from the link you sent. I think that’s pretty cool.

The timer function I’m speaking of allows each task to be timed and tracked to help the assignee stay focused and be more efficient. This function can also be used to track billable hours.

Also,
while working in Asana, I often have thoughts/ideas that I want to quickly jot down without leaving Asana (potential distraction).
The notes function will allow users to create and share notes throughout their organization and / or attach to a project/ task if needed.*

Have you all considered either of these functions?

Hi,
I saw the vision video from the link you sent. I think that’s pretty cool.

The timer function I’m speaking of allows each task to be timed and tracked to help the assignee stay focused and be more efficient. This function can also be used to track billable hours.

Also,
while working inside Asana, I often have thoughts/ideas that I want to quickly jot down without leaving Asana (potential distraction). The notes function will allow users to create and share notes throughout their organization and / or attach to a project/ task if needed.

Have you all considered either of these functions?

That is a built-in time tracking feature. There are probably existing topics on the subject here, use the search.

This is usually done with just tasks inside a dedicated project. Nothing else :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

No, I do not want to bother with a 3rd-party plugin. Tried it multiple times, they simply don’t do what we need.

If relevant: We want to use a Kanban board for most of our projects which are generally 100-400 hour website contracts for our clients. We are a small web dev team of 10-15 people. I also worked for a company prior to this one that was the same size and did the same type of work. We also wanted to use Asana and could not due to this time tracking limitation.

We need to be able to track time spent on projects and individual tasks in the project and have that information aggregate for each team member.

We also want to be able to track different “types” of time such as billable, non-billable, internal, break, etc and have this data available for each team member as well so that we can see where each person is spending their time and how many hours they are working in a given day, week, month, or year.

We want to be able to set a time limit on each project so that hours that are worked over the estimated time are shown as “overage” so we can see what tasks/projects are over on hours, and how much overage a team member is putting in.

We also want to be able to modify the amount of hours set on a project or task in the event of scope changes or feature creep.

Having this ability to log and track time spent on tasks, projects, and team members would make adopting Asana as our project management tool much easier. Without it, it doesn’t make much sense to use it in our company.

Hi @anon83789345, welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We already have an existing product feedback thread about this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with Please build time tracking into Asana . Please don’t forget to click the Vote button besides the title to upvote! Thanks again!

I agree with this. Switching to Asana would be much more attractive for my last and current company if this ability was built in.

Been using premium for a year. Just upgraded to business and am surprised even the most basic time tracking requires me to pay another per user per month fee! I just doubled what we are paying Asana.

All I want is to be able to assign a estimated time a task/project will take, and then actual time with the ability to add time entries… like each time someone updates they add time like a tracked entry eg per day, or per week or per session etc. i dont want a timer or anything like that, I just want to show each time time is added and then the total change. Is this not possible within Asana today with custom fields or anything else. This could be a deal breaker for us because at $25/user/month their are other options that offer this

As Asana’s users since 2013 and owner of a Digital Agency with a team of 20 people, we have evolved in every new project and with every mistake, especially when talking about projects and tasks managing. One of the main things we learned is that time is precious.

For many companies time tracking is still the best way to manage workload, to learn the pace of every team member and get insightful reports about clients and projects.

When I learned about the Workload feature, I had the false sense that Asana would launch it’s own time tracking functionality, but unfortunately this was not the case. Workload as it is, doesn’t really help achieving anything (it works only in Portfolios and it doesn’t account sub-tasks).

I know there’s integration with third part apps like for time tracking, we currently use Harvest, for example. And it really offers spectacular reports and insights. We are able to set the hourly cost of each team member and the project’s budget (in hours or value of sale) and get insight-full real time reports.

But as Asana evolves to become the app to “Help humanity thrive by enabling all teams to work together effortlessly.”, shouldn’t time tracking become a built in functionality already??

Not forgetting about the disrespectful Asana decision to charge double for a Business tier that offers some interface improvements and basic functionality added (having another one like Dashboards removed!) that should be offered for the most basic users for free!
Why not to offer time tracking as part of the new tier?

Harvest is great, but as a separate app that can only integrate trough Asana’s API, it doesn’t really work that smart to get project infos and so. This doesn’t help to get the users using it as it should be all the times.

I would happily cancel our Harvest subscription to put all the money in Asana.

It’s a fact, Asana lacks something much needed to get things done better, it lacks the ability to get knowledge from the users achievements and show it with insight-full reports that can help companies not only create and check tasks done, but to evolve in every capability of managing projects, people AND TIME.

Without managing time it’s impossible to any company grow.

What you users and Asanas think? Makes any sense to you?

Our team has definitely struggled with this. We started with Harvest, went to Toggl, then to Everhour, and back to Toggl. Every time the API changes we miss certain functionality. We even purchased a lifetime license for Gitscrum to have it incorporated but Asana is too deeply ingrained in how our organization functions that changing would be murderous. I’d love to not have to pay someone else for this. Let’s have it Asana!

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. We are anxiously awaiting Asana to put together this functionality for resource time tracking management. We currently use custom fields, but it becomes tedious exporting and/or manually selecting all tasks to see how many hours/points are on an individual.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Deep integrated time tracking was part of the vision video at Unveiling the Future of Asana • Asana if I remember well, so I think we just need to be patient…

3 Likes

I love Asana. We’re currently in the progress of moving, and the app we’re moving to doesn’t handle tasks nearly as well.

For now though, I need to give it a shot for it’s extensive time tracking

Has there been any response from the Asana team about this?

Nope, they don’t share their roadmap.

Hoping to see this sometime soon.

Would really love to see this happen ASAP. There are a lot of integrations but it be great to see this right in Asana.

Currently we use a separate tool to track time. And this is disastrous for accurate time tracking. Even as the owner of the company I simply forget to do it because it is not in my line of sight when working.

I just tried Monday.com, they have a simple yet wonderful complete time track field. The option to play and pause the time as well as add manual sessions. I think this is exactly what many of us need.

Also, this would be the first step to create (calculated) fields:
Velocity: {points}/{hours}
Budget {estimated time}-{tracked time}
Monday.com has a calculation field which does this flawless, it is so awesome to see it in action.

Any chance time tracking is implemented soon?

2 Likes

Time tracking in essential for project and request management. I hope Asana have it in pipeline. Extensions are not good for me because 2 things: 1) they don’t work for mobile app for example. 2) it’s additional step that all in my team should do.

1 Like