Optimal use of Instagantts workload view?

Hi all,

I find the workload view in Instagantt very odd and I’m wondering if maybe I’m using it wrong.

An example, if I want to assign a task to someone, which has an estimated completion time of 12 hours, it will need to be split over 2 days. How I would assume it works is it would put 8 hours on Day 1 and the remaining 4 hours on Day 2. But instead, it assigns 6 hours to each day.

I’m wondering why it is designed this way? Is this split useful to others and I’m just missing something?

The main thing I’m looking to be able to see, is if someone is overloaded with more work than they can complete. I can figure this out manually but I was hoping this is what the workload view would tell me.

Any thoughts and/or tips are greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Looping in @danielguajardok, the Instagantt expert!

Thanks @Alexis for looping me in!

Ishani, I think you have a valid use case we’re not addressing. Currently the workload view will split hours even across the days it’s scheduled. If a task has 4 estimated hours and it’s scheduled to be done in 4 days, it will consume 1 hour per day.

I’m taking note of your feedback though! I’m sure is a common use case that would be great to have on the app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@danielguajardok I can’t speak or others, but I would definitely find it very helpful!

Thanks for your answers.

1 Like

Hi,

is it possible to set-up a max. hours availability for project members? We have some working students which are in the office only at specific days for a specific amount of hours. I want to schedule the task for the working students and need this information for the workload.

Thanks for your response!

1 Like

To workaround the issue sometimes I’m splitting task into subtasks (sometimes a small as 1 day) and provide estimate on each and every subtasks to have “almost perfect” picture of expected workload. This is a lot of extra work, but I found it to be the only way to achieve the picture I needed.

1 Like

Hi @danielguajardok
Further to what you note above regarding common use - instances that we regularly encounter are interruptions to task by way of leave/other tasks set for specific (finite) days etc.
I understand you could break a task, create sub-task to create the break, however if it is adhoc, and you’re really wnating to keep PM to a minimum, is there a way of allowing tasks to have ‘block-out’ periods, or have a task ‘force’ a block-out (example: task is set to be completed within next 2 weeks, with 50hrs. Assignee will not be available for 2 days in that period, so rather than the task hours being split evenly across the 10 days, the reality is 8 days)?
Cheers, K