Only the project owner should be able to add new members

Is it possible to restrict project members (not owners) from adding other members to a project? As the owner of private project shared with a small team, I sometimes notice that additional members have been added to the project (whether by mistake or deliberately).

If there’s not currently a way to stop this happening, I reckon it’d be a great feature. I frequently come across this problem on ‘private’ projects that have been restricted for a good reason.

1 Like

Hi @ceturley,

This is not possible at the moment, but we will keep it in mind for a future project permission update!

1 Like

If you do make it possible for only owners to add new people, it would be great to be able to assign multiple owners for a project to provide coverage in case the original owner is out (so we don’t have to bother them while on vacation) or leaves the company.

1 Like

I would love for there to be an option that disallows people outside of a team (or project) to be added in as a collaborator. My agency works on a lot of client accounts and some of those clients may have similar names. Because of this, it’s easy to accidentally add the wrong client into a project or onto a task as a collaborator.

If there were rules (for example: if a team setting was set to “private”) that disallowed people other than those on a project and/or team from being added into projects and/or tasks, our team could keep accountability in the right place at all times.

You can make project members ‘comment only’ so they won’t be able to add members.

We do need some members on the team (apart from PM) to be able to add tasks/speak with clients. I believe this option would prevent them from being able to do that.

Hi @anon42421695, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

You can utilise private projects to prevent unwanted users from joining:

I hope this helps!

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath - I made a project private but it looks like I can still add out-of-project collaborators. For example, in the attachment below, nobody on the suggested list is a part of the project:

Currect. There is no current function to limit project access by a member. That is let only the project owner add members.

I would like to see this as well as other Project Owner abilities.

2 Likes

I agree. More granular permission control for the project owner would be extremely helpful. Even just an approve request when someone adds a member.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, @anon42421695! We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes