New tasks are immediately deleted

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

Sometimes I get into a state where creating a new task in the list view results in it immediately being deleted.

Steps to reproduce:

The state happens inconsistently, but once I’m in it is very hard to get out of. I’m currently stuck in it and don’t know how to get out.

1. Open a project
  2. Hit the New Task button or select a task in the list and hit enter or shift-enter.
  3. Start typing a task name.

Expected behavior:
The task name will start updating.

Actual behavior:
The task is added to the list as blank, but typing either does nothing or continues to edit the previous task. Selecting the new task shows it as being deleted.

It seems like the focus isn’t getting moved to the new task or is getting immediately reverted to the previous task. This results in the empty-task-deletion logic kicking in and deleting the task.

Browser version:
Chrome Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @anon36967945, thanks for flagging this!

I haven’t seen any other users report this behaviour yet!

Could you please try the troubleshooting steps below and let me know if any of these resolve the issue?

If none of the above work, I can look into this further for you :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

I figured out some more conditions.

This only occurs when I am in a project that is sorted by an enum custom field such that the enum options are the top level sections, which the list/board sections inside them. If I stop sorting it works fine.

I can’t figure out how to trigger that style of sort on a new project to test it, but it happens on one of our large backlog projects that is sorted by a custom field, even if we filter down to one value.

• Happens in both Firefox and Chrome
  • My browsers seems to be up to date
    • Chrome: Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • Firefox 87.0 (64-bit)
  • New tabs have the same behavior.
  • Running in an incognito window doesn’t fix it.
  • Running without extensions doesn’t fix it.
  • Reloading doesn’t fix it.

I wonder if this is similar to the other bugs where sorting was placing new tasks at the bottom of the list when certain sorts are applied.

Thanks for getting back to me, @anon36967945! :slight_smile:

It looks like the new task is indeed being placed at the bottom of the project due to your Sort type - this is expected behaviour.

However, the deletion of the task is not expected (unless you hit the backspace key as soon as the task is created, this would delete it).

I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team to have them take a closer look at the behind the scenes of your Project as they have access to additional tools that we don’t have here on the Community Team. You can reach out to them by following the steps below:

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.