New changes to section headers makes life more difficult. Please change it back (switching from : to TAB+N)

sections

Whatever recently changed for section headers has made my life more difficult. I used to be able to copy a long list of tasks (including all of the section headers) and paste them into another project and it would maintain all of the section headers due to the colon : Now… It does not maintain the section headers so you have to go in and use the new shortcut TAB+N, copy/paste you text from the task into the new section header and then delete the task. I had do to that for ALL OF THE SECTION HEADERS!! It took me 3 times longer to copy/paste that whole string of tasks because of this update.

Please change it back! I like the : creating the section headers. This was so easy. Why fix what ain’t broke?

0 Likes

Similar issue, but a slightly different application here.

TL; DR, giving it a keyboard shortcut can be useful, but taking away the ability to turn a task into a heading and vice versa is no bueno. Currently I can’t even find a manual way (by accessing ellipses) to do this.

e.g. I’ll often start collecting tasks in a given project then revisit later to reorganize before planning. Sometimes a task turns into a “user story” and my team has to start creating related “tasks” underneath it. (This opens up a whole another conversation of hierarchy/tree management, which I’ll search for before potentially creating a request) Now my only option is to write all of my “stories” using TAB-N, anticipating tasks to be written below. But this still creates issues for me since there’s no way to turn a header into a task. Like the OP, I’m stuck re-creating everything manually.

1 Like

This is a good thought… Maybe the keyboard shortcut TAB + N would be okay if it could convert an existing task to a section header and visa versa. Still more work for me in my example (copy/pasting a long list of tasks with mixes of sections and tasks) but still would be faster than the current method of fixing it.

I actually opened a ticket about this and was told the reason they made the change was due to them working on the ability to switch back and forth from list to board view… I still think the functionality of converting task to sections and vice versa is important.

1 Like

Right.

Since posting my reply, I went through a few more threads discussing/lashing out (lol) the same issue users are having. It sounds like the main culprit is this old post: Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa), which you just confirmed. It certainly sounds like they’ll be moving forward as planned so I guess it falls on all users to decide how much we dislike this change and whether this is going to be our deal-breaker or not.

Like me, yourself and many others out there, I think the question now is going to be whether Asana will at least consider adding an ability to switch between a task and a header…

1 Like