Multi-Task Copying

Is there a release schedule for the addition of multi-task copying? The single task copy function is def creating some obstacles with using Asana as a Project Management tool vs being a “task tracker.”

8 Likes

While we don’t currently share our official release schedule, I’ll definitely take down your feedback that this is something you’re looking for.

In the meantime, in case you haven’t done this before, I find it super easy to just copy the project housing the task(s) or the parent task housing the subtask(s) and then keep the relevant and/or deleting the irrelevant tasks from the copy.

Hi @elaux

I thought I’d share a workaround for copying multiple tasks (without copying the entire project).

1. Create a new parent task in your project
  2. Convert each task you want to duplicate into a subtask of your new task: How to Use Asana subtasks | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
  3. Once all your tasks have been converted into subtasks, duplicate the parent task: Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
  4. Go to the copied parent task, select all subtasks and convert them all back into parent tasks into your project

I know it’s not the easiest workaround, but I hope this helps!

4 Likes

This is a much more elegant solution than what I had!!! We have multiple checklists we incorporate into our project management. But some projects use different checklists or some of them but not all of them. We have a checklist for different types of projects. So I’ll have one main job. The templates are separate. So what I did was:

Create copy of Template
Archive copy of Template
Drag and drop the multi-selected items I need from the original template
Delete original template
Unarchive the copied template

1 Like

I hope this is on the ASANA product road map though!!!

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_Moore I’m just trying out your solution - How do you drag and drop to a different project?

Is there any update if the ability to copy a parent task + subtasks together?

1 Like

I realize it’s multiple years later but I can’t figure out how you convert a sub task back to a parent task. Is that feature not in existence anymore?

I posted a way that I have been using for awhile now and it’s by far and away the best method I have found/seen to move multiple template tasks into a new project. And my way takes into account custom fields, there’s only one thing to note, at this point I have all the “subtasks” in the project, so if you don’t like that functionality, this may not be for you.

I’ll look for my original post later, but here’s what the flow is. This uses a MASTER task to hold subtasks.

1. Create a template project
  2. Add your tasks, set custom fields
  3. Set custom field parameters
  4. Set all the tasks to some date in the future… like way off future, 2030 or something like that.
  5. Move all the tasks that would be considered subtasks to the MASTER task
  6. Promote the subtasks that you just put under the Master task, back to the project.
    At this point you should have your Master task, and X-number of subtasks also in the project.
  7. Duplicate the Master task… UNCHECK due date (if selected)!
  8. I normally use “New _____” as the name for the new tasks. So if my master is called “Promo Template.” I will name the duplicated task “New Promo.”
    At this point you should have 2 sets of tasks in your task window (project), they should be separated by the date… the ones listed as 2030 (or whatever you chose) and the new ones that have no due date.
  9. Select all the tasks under the “New ____” name.
  10. Change the project those tasks belong to, to the new project you want them.
  11. Then just duplicate the Master task again, so it will create the new set of tasks ready for the next time you need to push them to a new project.

Repeat 7-11 when you need the tasks for a new project.

While this sounds like a lot of steps… it’s actually super quick once you get used to the flow. It takes way longer for Asana to create my tasks than it does for me to follow the steps.

1 Like

Do we still not have an easy solution for this? I can duplicate multiple tasks at once by using Ctrl+C but then everything under the task is deleted. When I have at least seven tasks I am copying at a time, eight times, that is a LOT of work to go in and manually add a description, assignee, etc.

4 years later…

5 Likes

+1 to multi-task duplication. Workarounds are very cumbersome.

1 Like

This is helpful but it ends up taking the same time as individually duplicating each task. The goal was to help reduce the time someone spends on this but in the end doesn’t help save time.

This feature is currently missing and I suggest the following to @anon14176895. There is already an option of being able to select multiple parent tasks at once and then a small a small menu bar pops up to take group action on the selected tasks. Just add a feature to be able to duplicate the selected tasks.

4 Likes

5 years later…
Any chance to have this functionality ?

2 Likes

People requesting this since last 5 Year. Asana team still couldn’t add it.

6 years later… the funcionaility has not been added… now I get it, ASANA hasn’t shared the official release schedule simply because there isn’t one…