Moving Deadlines of dependent tasks increases due date span of preceding task

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Let’s assume we have a first task (Task A) with a due date span of 2 days (say Monday-Tuesday) and a dependent task (Task B) with due date on Wednesday. When you then move the due date of Task B to Tuesday, the due date span of Task A is 4 days (Friday-Monday) as intended. However, if you then move Task B due date on Friday, the due date span of Task A stays as 4 days, thus messing up all other dependencies.

I would appreciate if you could fix this issue or tell me how I can work around this issue.

Steps to reproduce:
See above.

Browser version:
Newest Chrome

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @anon35618075, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of how you have Rules set up for this project?

Looking forward to hearing back from you :slight_smile:

Hi,

is this what you require?

The Rules list should be at the bottom of the same box that shows Fields, under Customize (the box you have pasted above).

Do you have any Rules set up? They will only be present if you (or someone) have/has specifically created them for that project.

No, no rules have been set up for the project. Can you not replicate the issue?

Actually, now that I have tested, I do replicate this issue. I would like to point out that I was just clarifying Rebecca’s request for you, and I am just a user of Asana, not responsible for QA.

I suspect not many people rely on Asana adjusting due dates for them, as the overall feature is quite limited. I am not surprised by this behavior, and for all I know, it may be intentional.

I believe this is intentional, Asana probably does not store the “initial duration” but just relies on the latest duration… I would not count on it being fixed if I were you…

Hi @anon35618075, thanks for getting back to me! This feature is currently working as expected as the auto-shifting dependencies are set to skip weekend days, making your due date range longer in this case. The date range will not automatically shift back to the original range if moved again to mid-week

I have gone ahead and submitted your feedback to our Product team. Hopefully this is something they can implement in the future :slight_smile:

Hi @anon35618075 - you might want to check out my Flowsana integration. The Auto-Adjust workflow type will do what you’re wanting (it will adjust the dates back if it moves a task off of a weekend).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.