Auto Shifting Dependent Tasks with relative time frames

Currently I have a project setup with several tasks setup dependent on others. The precedent task and dependent tasks both have due dates based on total wait and process times it takes to complete each task. In other words, precedent task A has a total lead time of 5 days, and dependent task B has a total lead time of 5 days. So if task A starts on a Monday (1st), it should be completed by Friday (5th) the same week. Task B starts on Monday (8th) following the weekend and should be completed by Friday (12th). If task A is delayed 1 day, task B’s due date needs to be moved 1 day because it requires 5 days to complete how do you setup Asana to accommodate that change, otherwise if I have 30 tasks each independently relying on one before it to be completed, I still have to go through and updated ever task with the necessary completion time. Is there any way around this?

1 Like

Hi @Michael_D_Perkins, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

There is currently a feature to auto-shift dates for dependent tasks. You can use auto-shifting while updating dates from your project Timeline. Auto-shifting dates will work for precedent and dependent tasks:

• A change on a precedent task’s date will update the date of dependent task when it causes an overlap.
  • A change on a dependent task’s date will update the date of precedent task when it causes an overlap.

Hi Emily, this does not work for me. The example you provided illustrates the precedent task exceeding it’s deadline along with all the dependent tasks deadlines. It conveniently shifts all dependent task to be due the very next day regardless of the minimum required process time to complete the task. This does not work and assumes an all hands on deck scenario to speed up and complete the project.

My example explained if precedent task A requires 5 days to complete and it ends up being one day late, and dependent task B, which also requires 5 days to complete, its due date must be moved 1 day also. In other words, Task B still only takes 5 days, however 1 day of it’s 5 days is used by task A and therefore it’s due date needs to be moved 1 day.

Your example suggests (worse case scenario) if my task A is 5 days late, task B’s due date would be move and be required to be completed in 1 day. That does not work. Asana is assuming the process time for task B does not matter, and it does.

Is there a setting that will take this into account?

Hi @Michael_D_Perkins,

I’m not sure you’re interpreting the behavior of Asana’s auto-shifting correctly; but in fairness, the examples in the documentation don’t show your use case, so that’s not too surprising!

The issue with their examples is that, in all cases, all dependent tasks are only one day long (i.e. they have a due date but no start date). In your case, your dependent task B would have both a start and due date since it’s 5 days long. In that instance, Asana would shift Task B’s start date back one day but it would not alter its total duration - i.e. it would do what you want.

(Note to @Emily_Roman: I would suggest a change to the documentation to include at least one example where some of the dependent tasks are more than one day long, to eliminate this understandable uncertainty that Michael has raised.)

1 Like

I completely agree with you @Phil_Seeman! I just noticed the example doesn’t show Michael’s use case. I’ll also sent your feedback to our content team so they can consider adding a different screenshot/gif. Thank you!

2 Likes