More filtering options to filter Inbox notifications

For an ā€œinboxā€ tab in every project - this suggestion has been made and needs more votes!
==> Create Activity feed to Teams & Projects

Ykes. Just voted. :wink:

A lot of great suggestions here which I totally agree with!

Personally, I would love if I could implement GTD in my Asana Inbox just like like I do with my email inbox or in Asanaā€™s My Tasks. I would like to mark notifications as Urgent/Today, Upcoming/This Week, Back Burner/Later this month. Just so I can keep track of all those tasks that are not mine (but that I need to follow up with or relate to some of my tasks one way or another) instead of archiving them, where I most likely will miss many of them, or leaving them in the Inbox, clogging the system and giving me anxiety. :wink:

Thanks!!

1 Like

ā€œInboxā€ is misleading. To me it operates more like a feed of information. And much like Facebookā€™s feed, I have to assume the alorithm isnā€™t showing me everything.

I agree with all the comments and suggestions above. Iā€™d like to propose a prompt to update task due dates when commenting, and add the ability to mark work requests as hi-med-low priority.

I do appreciate being able to mark something for follow-up, but there are too many instances where Iā€™ve completely missed a note I was tagged in and had to be re-tagged by someone days later who was asking for status. This makes me look incredibly unprofessional, when really, Iā€™m on top of my game with all of the work that I actually know about.

2 Likes

I need a way to be notified of @mentions. Right now they are hidden in the inbox mess. I donā€™t need to see every task completed or newly created in every project, but when someone mentions me I definitely need to know about it.

6 Likes

Agree with all. The inbox is unmanageable. Iā€™d like to see tasks with comments to me only

1 Like

This discussion will be one year old in few months, but Asana did not yet announced any plan on this. :frowning:

3 Likes

still many people that want thisā€¦ still broken. I foolishly assumed i just didnt know where to turn on settings that would allow me to filter my inboxā€¦

2 Likes

Asana did add a hack which weā€™re finding useful. Be sure to enable the hack ā€œDisable Notifications for Tasks Starting & Due Todayā€ if you havenā€™t already done so.

1 Like

I donā€™t really use inbox - it always seemed to be a concession for users who really wanted emails. I rely on my organised task list ie using tab-U to move stuff to upcoming after amending due date.

With the introduction of start / due dates though, I wonder if the inbox could be helpful, eg notify of important tasks on their start date, or due date.

This only has possibilities for me if i can have a default setting for ā€œno notificationsā€ (for most tasks). Otherwise, yep, the inbox is way too cluttered.

I currently manage 120 projects. How can Asana think the inbox can be useful to maintain everything on track? Reading the inbox means for me to continuously switch from a project to another. Not having filters is simply a stupid condition.

3 Likes

I canā€™t agree more!

1 Like

Another Suggestion is to be able to process the inbox Oldest first without having to scroll/load scroll/load a million times

5 Likes

Agreed. I donā€™t understand why i would want to see tasks due in my inbox. Isnā€™t that the whole point of basically all the other Asana features?

1 Like

Couldnt agree more ! Good post!

Although I can confirm that the suggested improvements would help me also, I do not really have a problem with the current situation as the inbox is the first thing for me to review so there are usually not so many entries there in my case.

@Paul_Stoermer pretty much nailed it and there are a number of additional ideas that would really help. I will add one more:

1. If you are already looking at a task, especially the most recent posts and that Task is in your Inbox, either remove it since youā€™ve already looked at it, or mark it as ā€œreadā€ so itā€™s no longer a pending Inbox item.

Hope you folks at Asana are considering Inbox changes/overhaul (the name too, please) soon. Asana is so great, this would just frost the cake to to speak.

-S

I agree to any of the above suggestions for inbox filters. Right now, just back from vacation and working through way too many notifications, Iā€™d be happy for a way to sort inbox notifications by date so I can see oldest first. I have to scroll waaaaaay down to do this and itā€™s a huge time waster.

2 Likes

Hi there!

Asana is the most important tool in my business for mapping out tasks and holding my team accountable to deadlines, but itā€™s inability to highlight communication is frustrating and creates inefficiencies and miscommunication.

I believe three things need to be created to improve the software:

1. A notification system which informs you of tasks that have been assigned or created on your behalf.
  2. A notification of when another user writes a keyword/ tag thatā€™s relevant to you (like Slack does).
  3. A filtering of notifications by project (via a drop down menu).

My inbox at the moment is so vast from incidental creation/ changes/ comments to tasks that I find the experience painful and a waste of time. Until something like the above gets created, does anyone have any cheats or shortcuts?

2 Likes

A notification filter or sort method would be a productivity game changer for us! Specifically sorting by project or by type of update (i.e. comment vs completion).

Or a way to do this via the search functionā€¦ right now you can search for tasks within a project that have been updated in the last dayā€¦ but the notification view would be significantly easier to process. :slight_smile:

2 Likes