Meet your new My Tasks

100% agree!

I agree with Scott-- this current workaround as a substitute for the old tab+L functionality is a major downgrade that really hurts the user experience. Our team is pretty frustrated by this. Please keep us updated on the timeline for the fast follow on restoring tab+L and tab+U keyboard shortcuts

7 Likes

Amazing! I can’t wait to have My tasks updated. I’m a Business User, do we have already a date estimate of when in May it will be available for us?
Thank you

The latest info we have is: "we are currently migrating existing free and premium accounts and we hope to start rolling out to Business and Enterprise accounts starting the end of May. "

1 Like

Any word if the tab shortcuts are coming back? I rely on that so much in my workflow.

1 Like

What the heck Asana! Since when is it good product management practice to deprecate a highly used behavior, provide no backward compatibility and segment into a premium feature something that the product did for free?

I’ve been using the new My Tasks “feature” and it’s now safe to say that this is the most botched “upgrade” I have ever seen Asana do.

I want “Mark For…” back, both in the browswer and the mobile apps.
I want Autopromotion back, just like it used to work
I don’t want to mess with rules, especially if most of them are out of bounds… and heck, I pay for Asana (and most of the rules are not available to me!)

I don’t usually deal in superlatives but… have you guys lost your minds???

13 Likes

To echo what others had said already, this truly feels like a downgrade. I have loved Asana and always wished it had a personal-use tier that was less than the current Premium tier. The new required rules, missing shortcuts and the inability to show completed tasks in today view really break my workflow.

I will continue looking for solutions, but alas, it feels like the time has come to explore alternatives for personal use.

10 Likes

What happened to the swipe left, ‘Mark for’, button? With the new update now we have to click into a task to set it for today, upcoming, or later. This is really annoying! Please change it back!

3 Likes

Thanks @Emily_Roman for your responses so far.

I for one am feeling pretty optimistic about these changes. Yes, I had to spend an hour reconfiguring my workflows to fit the new layout, but the main functionality is more or less the same.

Until Asana come up with an alternative, I’m going to miss the tab shortcuts and ‘recurring tasks in later’, but I’m hopeful that won’t be too long.

Despite those frustrations, this still feels like a change with a lot of positive potential :sparkles:

3 Likes

Seconding the need for keyboard shortcuts for Today, Upcoming, and Later to return–it is much slower to organize my tasks on a daily basis if i have to use the mouse. The use of rules is interesting but keyboard shortcuts are a pretty essential feature for daily and ongoing use of Asana

8 Likes

Ok, I understand a lot of people needed the Board view for My Tasks.

Now, why do we have to create a rule to move a task to “Today” when it’s due for today? If we don’t create this rule, it won’t happen?

If so, why complicate things that were already working?

I know you just have to create a rule, but in my case, as an online teacher, I have to instruct all my students that use Asana for organizing our course, to create this rule, and some will have the functionality while others won’t, and it doesn’t make any sense. Sorry.

5 Likes

So, I can see if we were starting from scratch that this would essentially replace what this section used to do.

I have thousands of tasks and HAD temporary “sections” within each of those to help my workflow be quick and easy. With this update, those tasks are now within those sections and I am told the tasks will be deleted if I delete the sections.

Only able to move 50-at a time with this issue is not functional. The performance of the “My Tasks” section, with this volume is not functional.

So, shy of starting a new account… how do I get my amazing Asana-introduced optimal workflow back up and running again with this new setup?

2 Likes

@Ben_Studer,

I was in the same boat as you so I faced the same exact issues.

I tried to address these very questions in my article:

If you’ve created other sections in the past and no longer need them, you’ll find you can’t delete sections still containing tasks — even completed tasks — without either a) moving them to another section (see Moving Tasks Between Sections in My Tasks below for tips ) , b) unassigning yourself first, or c) confirming the warning and allowing them to be deleted. You may prefer simply to keep these sections collapsed and drag them below Later .

I did a combination of those things and, to save time, keep a couple of those old sections collapsed at the bottom of My Tasks. I never see them, and while it would be nicer to fully clean them up, they’re out of the way and not bothering me. The others that didn’t take so long to adjust as above, I did so.

Above where I mentioned Moving Tasks Between Sections…, I offer that you can multi-select more than 50 tasks when using this new control:

If you weren’t aware of that, maybe that will help you too.

Hope that’s of use value,

Larry

3 Likes

This change was such a let down. I had been waiting for months but all it is is a board view that still mixes tasks up in a totally random order. Guess I’ll still just use one big long list sorted by due date

5 Likes

I completely agree. I relied on recurring tasks (1x / month) to automatically end up in the Later section and now I’m spending way more time managing My Tasks.

Asana basically quit handling workflows in My Tasks.

6 Likes

Hi. I use my tasks to see what is due today. How can I organise it does this? At the moment it has a section at the called recently assigned with hundreds of historical tasks that are not relevant and doesn’t show recurring tasks. How can I create a view like before which just shows all tasks in order of due date?

Thanks

1 Like

Right. Now that it takes an extra step its an extra friction point for new users to leverage as well.

2 Likes

After reading all of the replies in this thread I am really worried about this change that’s yet to be implemented into our account.

Is it possible to delay getting our account updated?

I do not want to change my routine, it’s hard enough as is to keep on top of busy days, and so far the majority of users seem to be disappointed.

I’m sure it will just be a matter of time for the updated feature set to get kinks worked out, but I do not want to mess up my teams day to day.

3 Likes

Hi,
Would it be possible to see my coworkers sections in my tasks view, we use this feature a lot to prioritize work (before today, upcoming, later).

What about tasks with the start date, how can I promote them? As I see the rules relate only to the due date, not the start date.

Do you plan to add keyboard shortcuts to move tasks through sections (the later section shortcut was very useful)?

Hi @Ariella_Fishkin, we are not updating the way subtasks are managed at the moment. Subtasks will show under the No project section is they are not associated with any project. You can upvote. for this feature here: Show project on subtask in 'My tasks' view

@Jaime_Blanco: No, you don’t need a paid version for that. The rules to move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching is available in the free version. Please see below what Rules will be available for which tiers:

• Free version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
  • Premium version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
    • Move task to a certain section when they are marked complete
    • Complete a task when it is moved to a certain section
  • Business & Enterprise versions:
    • All custom rules currently available for projects

Hi @Vanessa_Gardner, this feature is being gradually rolling out. We are planning to start migrating business and enterprise customers at the end of May but it may take a couple of weeks until we can roll out the feature to all accounts included in this group.

1 Like