Make Task templates available to other projects (Task templates library)

The only problem I see at the moment is that the template can include values for custom fields, and there are only available within a project scope…

1 Like

I completely agree with all the comments, at present we have a project called Templates that has all our repeatable tasks and we duplicate the task in the project and add it to the project we need. I am keen to move over to Task Templates but if this means we have to version control Task Templates that could be need in as many as 30 projects this will not be helpful. I favour a central Task Library when on a project by project basis you can add/star them for each project to avoid having potentially tens of templates to choose from in a drop down. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Chris_Pearson
Another clear explanation and yes version control will be a key element :+1:

1 Like

Thank Marie. Similar to Skyler, we are an agency with many clients with repetitive steps that we are building in a Team called Templates.

It’s a little frustrating when your understanding of a template is that once you have created a templates and duplicated it, future work done in the parent template does not appear in child templates of the parent.

We need to still go into the parent, duplicate a task, open it, tell it to show in the child template and then scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroooooooll (yes, it feels like this sometimes :slight_smile: ) all the way back to the top (our Template board is at the bottom) to get to the child Team template you want to work on.

Would love to see a global library of templates. :+1:

2 Likes

I have done a quick mockup of how this library might look once you choose to create a new task.

• Click Add Task
  • Immediately gives you ability to start searching which filters through the library of templates
  • Hit enter and card is created

5 Likes

Hello,

is there a chance to make task template for already existing projects?
I mean I found a way to make task templates but I would like to assign those template to already existing projects. We have over 400 projects and I wonder if there is an option to assign those templates to thos projects in bulk.

Kindest regards

2 Likes

Hi @anon62484050, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

Great question! At this time, it is not possible to add task templates to multiple projects in bulk. Hopefully this is something our Product team can consider for future updates. I’ll make sure to update this thread if I have any updates about this feature! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Add dashboards to this as well :slight_smile:

Is there really a maximum of 10 templates allowed per project? Why?!

1 Like

A note: you currently can’t use task templates in your “My Tasks” view, which is annoying. I was hoping to be able to create a task with a new template straight from My Tasks view. Right now, instead, I have to navigate to a particular project, and then make the task. (I was trying to avoid doing that, because my old workflow was to simply duplicate an existing task that was acting as my template, but that still required me to go to another project to do it)

1 Like

Can I duplicate task template to another project on asana

Hi @Pai_Apassanan and welcome to the forum,

Asana does not currently support duplicating task templates. You can vote for that feature here:

1 Like

Totally agree, will be great to have a Templates Library! Waiting for this new feature!

1 Like

I think the point is to use the template library for more than one project. If you want to you the ‘Monthly Website Maintenance’ in another project, you will need to create it again.

1 Like

Exactly, I’m assuming you’re a rocket scientist to have figured this out. You should most definitely apply for a job at Asana to guide their teams to understand how a user actually uses their product. lol

Please! We need this! My company works on very many separate, fast TAT projects. They generally follow the same structure, and if something deviates, we have a set of tasks that we have to generate (and they’re always the same). This would be a lifesaver if we could have this.

Without it, the task template feature is useless for us.

1 Like

@Brian_Fanelli in the mean time, my concept of “task factories” could work in your case with a project including several task templates.

Task templates are hillariously useless at the moment, because you’ve got to manually create the same templates every time you create a new project.

You could automate that using the API… Except that task templates don’t appear in the public API either! Really bizarre.

Looking forward to the day that they are incorporated into project templates and the API.

2 Likes

I second all the above comments.
Have just signed up to Asana as I was hoping it would have more advanced features than Trello for managing common tasks across different projects, but it seems not to be the case.
I will now have to rethink if this is the correct strategic solution for my organisation.
Thankfully I read this thread after only setting up one task in a project, rather than at the end of weeks of work.

1 Like

Here’s an idea I tinkered with this morning and would love to see.

Maybe under Template Tasks is a search bar to search for a task template, similar to the idea above

1 Like