Launching sorting within Sections! 🥳

Hi everyone,

Here is a quick note to share some big news! As of today, we’re starting to roll out a new feature allowing you to sort your tasks within sections :tada:

We’re still working on updating our guide, so in the meantime, here is a screenshot of my own account to help you visualise where you can enable this feature and how it will look like in your own account:

Please note that we’re rolling out this update gradually; it is currently available to 10% of our users and providing we don’t discover any issue, it should be available to everyone by the end of this week! I’ll post an update as soon as we’re ramped up to 100%!

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions in the comments below and to log your feedback in our #productfeedback category!

We hope you will enjoy this update as much as we do :heart: Have a great Monday!

44 Likes

This is great news! Will facilitate our scrum check-ins when we want to sort by assignee or due date. My team will be happy to see this

1 Like

cool, that is good to hear!

1 Like

I’m excited, and also concerned…what are going to be the side effects of these sorts? Is any kind of data going to be destroyed when I do this type of sort? What exactly will the behavior be?

1 Like

Hi @Stephanie_Oberg,

None of your data will be lost or modified. Your task will simply be sorted (by due date or assignee for example) within their sections. If you prefer the old sort style, you can always toggle “Sort within section” off.

This looks to be a great feature!

1 Like

Thank you, Marie!
Thats very helpfull. The problem is solved! :blush:

1 Like

@Marie I think I found a potential bug here…

For numerical fields, it does not appear possible to sort in descending order, only ascending order.

Actually, looks like it’s the same issue for due date field.

Click once and it’ll sort in ascending order across sections, click again and instead of reversing the order it just turns off sorting.

2 Likes

Hi @Ben_Brenner, this is an expected behaviour and was already the case with our previous sorting option. If you haven’t yet, I would recommend casting your vote in Sort by Due Date - ascending or descending option!

1 Like

Yes!!! Wahoo.

1 Like

Thanks, went ahead and voted for that. I definitely think having the ability so sort in descending order for numerical fields would be most valuable as we use fields for cost or leads forecast and want to have the highest ones show first.

Is there a way to turn this feature off completely or will we have to toggle it every time for every project?

You would need to toggle off at the project level once and make sure to save your view as your default layout :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG YES!!! I always needed this. Amazing work Asana Team!! Love this :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a great addition, and long awaited. The only problem is that when I do the sort, it removes the twistees next to a task to show the sub-tasks. That is more of a problem for me than not being able to sort within sections. This example is without the sort: image and this is with the sort: image

2 Likes

Hi @Litt :wave:t3: That is quite of a popular feedback, and if you haven’t yet, I’d recommend casting your vote in Display subtasks on List view when project is filtered/sorted :slight_smile:

Done, and thank you. Have a good weekend.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for this feature for a while now! Unfortunately, I’m really hoping to use the Sort Within Sections in reports, not just projects. It seems that this is still not an option. This would be ideal for our weekly production meetings where we want to chat through tasks due or overdue in the upcoming 7 days by project (which we do via a saved report). Right now, those tasks are in a totally random order within the projects (sections) making it annoying to work through things chronologically. Are you looking to roll this feature out for reports as well?

1 Like

One more note is that I was already able to manually move the order of tasks within sections in projects (which I always do so that tasks appear in chronological order) but this is also not an option in reports. So there is literally no way (that I can find) to pull a report that sorts by project and by due date. I would even be happy if I could manually change the order of the tasks within a report as you can within a project. But I’m kind of stuck as it is. Help?

1 Like