Allow 'sorting' on a per section basis

Use case:
I want most of my columns sorted by due date. But when it comes to my more active columns (e.g. what I’m working on today), I want to be able to re-arange my tasks manually (i.e. no sort).

Hi @Geoff_Kennedy, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

In order to assist you best here, would you mind providing some more context of what you hope to achieve?

Looking forward to hearing back from you :slight_smile:

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath,
I’m not sure I have much more context to add. Essentially I want to be able to sort some tasks by date, whereas others I need to be able to sort more granularly.

E.g. If I have 10 tasks all with a due date of today - I would move these to my ‘in progress’ column, and sort them manually based on my own knowledge of their priority.

@Geoff_Kennedy, Good request! You should vote by clicking the purple button at the top.

@Rebecca_McGrath, I strongly request this too for My Tasks. (Columns in the request means Section too, of course.). My use case is that I have an Agenda section with tasks occurring on future dates. I want that section automatically sorted by Start date. But above that I have other My Tasks sections like Now, Today, and Upcoming. I only want to manually sort those in the order that makes sense to me; not necessarily by date.

@Rebecca_McGrath, sorting by section was to be a feature of GitHub - Asana/archie though that project hasn’t been active, sadly.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Thank you both for providing this feedback, @lpb and @Geoff_Kennedy! I agree this would be a great addition :slight_smile:

Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future - I’ll let you know if I have any updates here on this thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to be able to sort different sections on a board differently. So rather than having to sort the entire board by due date, I would like one section to be sorted by due date and another manually, etc.

Hi @anon72081721, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! We do have an existing request for this feature in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future - I’ll let you know if I have any updates here on this thread :slight_smile:

I’ve generally really liked Asana so far, aside from a few minor hiccups. However, I find that for me personally it’s a little lacking on the “last mile” of task management.

I’m coming from the world of Wunderlist / Microsoft To-Do and something that works really well there is the ability to drag tasks from where ever and move them to “Today” to make a focused checklist of what you want to accomplish that day without the need to change due dates (you might be working on an over-due task, or one due next week for example).

I understand that Asana allows you to do this on the My Tasks page by dragging tasks from Recently Assigned to Do Today. Great! However, I think it’s important to be table to organize the tasks in Do Today in what ever order one would like (as expected with a good daily checklist). Fine, that can be done by sorting by “none”. Problem is this also sorts Recently Assigned by “none” so it no longer provides a good view of what is upcoming / due date. I should add I personally don’t intend to use the Do Next Week or Do Later sections and I also don’t want to manually drag or sort all my tasks in advance: just want to grab a few each day to work on from a date-sorted list.

Request:
My request is that we have the ability to keep Recently Assigned sorted by due date while being able to manually sort items moved into Do Today.

P.S. This would also be great in the Android App / Widget which won’t even let you drag from Recently Assigned to Do Today if you’re sorting by date.

I’m not suggesting this should be mandatory or the default for everyone, but I’d love to see the option to toggle manual sorting in Do Today only.

Thanks!

So basically, the ability to sort each column by its own criteria? I like that. Use the ellipsis to then override the Board sort default for that column.

Hi @anon41368796, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback :slight_smile:

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Sorting sections by tasks comes in handy when using forms to get entries into projects. I want to sort those entries independently of other tasks in that project.

Hi Asana team, any update on intention to support this functionality one day? Would this be relatively easy to implement or is it a big ask? It’s the last feature missing that’s needed in our workflow to keep Asana as our only project / task management tool. Thanks!

2 Likes