Is there a way to complete a task, and pass it on to someone (ie: for approval or additional steps)?

I find myself constantly with tasks in my task list that I have completed my part of, but that need attention. For example, a flier is requested and I design a draft and attach it to the task and then it is really not my task anymore until it gets feedback or approval. I want to be able to check it off my list, but it is not actually complete. It seems silly to create 3 tasks - “make a draft” assigned to me, “approve draft” assigned to supervisor, and “re-design” assigned to me… maybe we even need a couple more draft and feedback cycles!

What I REALLY want is to be able to click “hand it off”, basically. I want to get it off my task list and onto my supervisor’s list to review. And then I want them to be able to hand it back off to me when they’ve had a look and added feedback.

Is there a way to do this?

1 Like

I simply change the assignee. That’s all. Change the due date if necessary. Then I do daily quick check “Task I’ve Assigned to Others”, to make sure there is nothing left unattended.

5 Likes

Thank you! I have thought about that, but there’s a feeling of “if I do that, will the task still appear under my list of accomplishments for review time?”

You can use tags to group it together, or to assign status if you want.

Could subtasks be a workaround for you?
You can use the ‘start date’ feature to set a date range for the parent task, and give subtasks their own due dates. Personally I find this method the easiest for multi step tasks.
Example:
This way you can assign the main task to yourself, and it will show up for your reviews. If you don’t want extra tasks showing up on your task list, you don’t need to assign your subtasks to yourself.

3 Likes

Thanks Ceturly, I have tried this method and felt like I was getting
drowned in minutia. The sub tasks all show up on my to do, even the far off
ones, and if I have multiple projects going on I sometimes end up with a
list of the “same” task (associated with different parent tasks) and it’s
hard to tell which one goes with which project.

Serra Hadsell

1 Like

Hello from the Asana User Experience Research team!

We’re working on some improvements to support creative teams with their review and approval workflows.
If you’re available next week (11/26/18- 11/30/18) to share your feedback on our early designs, we’d love to chat over a 45-minute video call. You would receive a $75 Amazon gift card in exchange for your time.

If you’re interested in participating, please tell us a bit more about you using this quick survey: Share your feedback: Asana Proofing + Approvals
We’ll follow up shortly if you’re a match for this study. Thank you!

4 Likes

I filled out the survey, and I will say I have a lot of opinions on how proofing and approvals should be done. I don’t care about the gift card, if this is something Asana can add in the future, I’m open to sharing my ideas. I can put them in an email if you want. It would be easier to cover all the bases that way. I would probably forget things if we did a phone call/video chat.

@Serra_Hadsell @ceturley
FYI, Flowsana includes this feature: you can set a dependent task B which is dependent on task A, and enter into an “Assign To” custom field the person to whom task B should be assigned.

Then when you mark task A as complete, task B will be automatically assigned an appropriate start and due date and it will be automatically assigned to the person you identified.

If interested, you can read more in this forum post.

1 Like

Did something come of this? I seem to have exactly the same concerns that are mentioned here. I’d rather not have to create a bunch of sub tasks unless it can be automated.

I also feel that removing changing the task owner for each step in the workflow is a mistake. If I do my calendar won’t show that I’ve been doing stuff. I’m not used to having a task calendar, but I am fond of the idea and would rather not lose what I just gained.

However, we need to pass tasks along a workflow along the lines of a dev, test, dev, test, dev, test, qa, dev, test, qa, complete type of iterative cycle… (Mostly without as many iteration, of course, but that’s the potential complexity.)

Hi @Abi_Kelly Is this feature being released soon? We could really use it

Hi! i would LOOOOVEE a feature to pass tasks to clients to approve BUT not showing them the task log, and comments…
Would that be possible?

Hello! So sorry for the delayed reply on this! We’re currently investigating ways to smooth out the processes you’re describing, and we’ll keep you posted with any new developments. I’ll DM several folks on this thread separately, in case you’re still interested in sharing feedback with our experience research team. We’d love to learn a bit more about what you’re hoping to accomplish.

2 Likes

We are struggling with that here as well. I would really love to get something that works for those needing approvals and those that are doing the approving. It’s not working on either end for us.

Thank you for looking for improvement and being so receptive to feedback.
Katie

I’ve been using Asana for a while and what we use in terms of approvals is Tags.

Our problem was that by changing the assignee, the person who did the task could be lost, when I needed to get back to a task.

So we use tags. we tag task #forTesting, #forDeployment, and we switch between the 3 status in a form of an approval process until it is completed.

Someone’s job is to check at #forTesting whilst someone else deploy what’s ready once a week and knows who to talk to for info as they are the task owner.

At the moment just re-assigning the task to the person who needs to approve and notify client.
But I miss getting those mark complete unicorns

I also need to know who to re-assign to. would be good if this automatically triggered on mark complete (based on custom field).

I’d envision it to work like the recurring tasks.

I wonder if this is something I can build via the API.

I also need to know who to re-assign to.

For this we use a custom field to designate a task owner who is responsible for moving the workflow along and managing timings. We also use sub tasks to assign each step and track progress. We find it’s great for tracking how many rounds of internal/clients amends we go through on each job.

I agree this approach can really fill out your ‘My Tasks’ view. To help declutter I suggest using the ‘Today’, ‘Upcoming’ and ‘Later’ feature here to organise your days/week’s work and hide everything else.

We need this capability as well. We create an initial “evaluation” task that gets assigned to someone and put on the calendar, then when that person is done with the evaluation, we want to retain the data on the calendar so we can see what was done by who and when, retain all the comments and details, but rename the task now to “installation” to and reassign to a new person with a new installation date.

Same thing when the installation is completed, we want retention of the calendar info showing when it was done and by who, all the comments retained, and it then gets assigned to the accounting person to finish up the billing and such. Have not found a suitable way to do this. We thought duplicating the task might be an approach, but that is a bit clunky, and does NOT copy any of the comments! None of the suggestions I have read in this thread seem like very good solutions.

A simple solution it would seem to me would be for another “Complete” option, like “Complete and reassign” where it completes just the calendar entry (including who it was assigned to); adds a comment to the task “calendar entry marked complete by xx”; and asks for a new assignee and due date. That would fix everything for us.

We have a team of 7. We create editorial calendars for all our clients. This includes sending email, social posts, ads, print, and web content. Assignee changes are key for us because different stages of content require different work. Writing to start, creative for graphics, then web to place on-site or create landing pages as needed, etc.

We break this down by creating an editorial calendar team and anyone on our team who creates or edits content is a member of that team. That way the editorial calendar project for each client can live on its own and have its own timeline/calendar and not be mixed in with other processes. Also, since the editorial calendar is more collaborative with client, we can share it with them and not worry about sharing other things that live in other projects that are more sensitive we might not want the client to see or that they may not need to be bogged down with.

Every post gets a deadline for when it will actually be posted live. Internally we have a process in place where we know how much lead time we need. It’s managed with custom fields for stage approval with notifications set for person responsible.

When we started we did this with sub tasks:

Fundraising Email (Due date of June 20)

Outline (Due June 1)
Draft (Due June 10)
Image (Due June 15)
Client Approval (Due June 18)

That became cumbersome and did not work well for timeline view.

We moved to a structure where we use the main task and custom fields for stage, since stage is standardized. We also have custom fields for channel (email, ads, web, etc). For email, we have a universe field. We segment our emails to different groups, so custom field for that is (Full List, 90 day openers, donors only, etc).

That worked very well and keeps the timeline view clean.
It also allows us to have a better view into resource assignment if we do a quick view on timeline.

We color code the custom fields and we can get a quick overview of where things are in timeline view by color as well.

This view is a quick status view. We use a simple red/yellow/green to denote whether it’s complete, queued, drafting. Gray means just planning.

We also have channel view. Gray for email, blue for Facebook, red for Ads, etc.

If we see too much blue, maybe we move a facebook post to another medium. If we see too much grey, we move an email to social, etc.

Assigning:
We change task assignee as we move through that process. it’s easier doing that and works well with notifications and is cleaner than using tags.

We start our day looking at My Tasks and Inbox, but aside from that we use the awesome Slack integration and our team gets notified by a channel on changes to tasks.

Then as we progress through that task you see how its reported in slack. Change of assignee.

Culture
That keeps us tight between asana and slack, and our team is always in the know on any project, regardless of changes and new assignments (or changes of assignee on existing tasks moving through a process.)

Now, if your team members don’t pay attention to slack/asana - that’s a different issue and nothing you do in slack or asana will fix that. They need to adopt the culture of checking certain apps on a regular schedule.

In my experience - the culture of checking certain apps has to be taught alongside the training of using those apps.

Probably went sideways from addressing your original question - but hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks @CraigGrella! Great suggestions. I think we are going to try adopting your methodology of passing the task and using custom fields to note where a report is in the process approval stage. Thanks again!

Katie