Introducing the Status Update API

Hello all!

Our team is committed to deliver a feature-rich API, and today we’re excited to announce new API endpoints available for Status Updates! This is similar to our existing Project Status API, but

• More parent objects supported: This route supports projects, goals and portfolios.
  • A clearer status_type field: instead of a color (e.g. blue), we’re exposing a status_type (e.g. on_hold).
  • Support for likes: Similar to other objects, these now support finding out who has liked the status update.
  • Support for current status on parents: the latest status update is now exposed on projects, goals and portfolios in the current_status_update field.

Have a look at the full functionality in our docs!

As part of this launch, we encourage all new apps to use the new Status Update API over the existing Project Status API, and current_status_update vs. current_status on projects.

As always, feel free to leave comments and questions here. Be sure to check back for more updates and announcements as we continue to add new features to the API.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Any plan regarding the deprecation of colors for example on the legacy endpoint? thanks

@Bastien_Siebman Yes, we are planning a deprecation, which we’ll post about soon.

As I tried this endpoint it seems it’s giving me only project statuses / updates, not project messages (which are also status, but not “on track, at risk, …”"). I may be confused by some terms, as it seems messages are seperate thing, but when I go to messages and try clicking on more options, there messages are called like status updates. Also messages go to seperate tab, but also it goes in to overview status updates, in same flow.

I don’t know if I explained this well, but all in all I don’t understand how to get project messages and it seems like it may be related to these status updates, but I’m not quite sure.

Hello there! This route only give you access to status updates, not all messages. We’ll be considering adding messages in a future update of the AP. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hi Steven! Any update to this? This status column is one of the most crucial components of the portfolio, and it seems to be the one piece of data inaccessible to the API.

Welcome, @Curt_Justice,

Isn’t that what you’re asking for?

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

I’m afraid not. current_status_update provides details on the last time someone updated a project’s status. Unfortunately, it does not contain the actual project status, as described by Ieva_Jakšaitytė, which contains statuses such as “on track, at risk, etc.”

@Curt_Justice,

The page Status updates includes:

which is the text of the status (note that it’s opt-in so maybe that’s why you’re not seeing it) and other fields like title.

At the bottom of the page is the payload.

On the side are the endpoints to retrieve this.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Unfortunately not. Status updates only provide the actual update that someone wrote, who wrote it, and when. It does not present the actual status. Sample dummy data for current_status:

{'current_status': {'author': {'gid': '12345',
                               'resource_type': 'user'},
                    'color': 'green',
                    'created_at': '2024-02-15T20:26:43.474Z',
                    'created_by': {'gid': '12345',
                                   'resource_type': 'user'},
                    'gid': '67890',
                    'modified_at': '2024-02-16T20:26:43.474Z',
                    'resource_type': 'project_status',
                    'text': 'Summary\n'
                            'In dev until 2/20\n'
                            '\n'
                            'Next steps\n'
                            'Launch 2/29\n',
                    'title': 'Status update - Feb 15'},
 'gid': '56789'}

Sample dummy data for html_text in the StatusUpdate resource:

'html_text': '<body><strong>Summary</strong>\n'
              'Currently in progress.  See their project update here'
               '\n'
              '<strong>Next steps</strong>\n'
              '<ol><li>Testing on 2/6</li>'
              '</body>'

The resource we are seeking are the values presented in this column for project statuses presented in a portfolio. It does not appear to be available in the API.
statuses

Hi @Curt_Justice ,

This information is definitely available and is in the field status_type, as mentioned in the documentation. I’ve also tested this myself and have no issues accessing that field. If you don’t see it, you are probably not including it in the opt_fields array that you send in your request. Could you post a code snip of the function you’re running to generate the return in penultimate post?

EDIT: Ah, ok I re-read your posts and assume you are calling a project endpoint, which includes some information about current_status and current_status_update. To access the status update itself (including the status_type property), you would chain your project call to a status update call.

Alternatively, you could try including current_status_update.status_type in your opt_fields array and seeing if that works on your project call. Additionally, it seems that current_status.color gives you a pseudo-status (color of the status or complete), but it sounds from this thread like that’s likely going to be deprecated.

1 Like